Do Vets Send Found Dogs Straight To A Shelter?

tikira

In Brisbane I believe if you bring a found dog to a vet, they are supposed to keep them and then they hand them over to the Council pound. Some vets try to hold on to strays for a few days though.

I found a dog a few weeks ago and took her to the vet to get checked for a MC.. she had a MC but it wasn't registered to anyone. I asked to hold on to the dog instead of leaving her with them and they didn't say anything against it - a dog going to the council pound always seems like such a one way trip to me :( I had her for three days before the owner saw her found dog profile on the RSPCA website and contacted me.

From memory, Vets do not HAVE a legislative obligation to keep them. I know some vets who will take an animals and ring the pound directly in Brisbane. It is up to the owner to keep their animal contained within their property.

I have scanned animals who have never had their microchips registered by the implanting surgery. (quite a few AWL ones from their microchip days). Pretty damn hard to track owners then.

As to whose responsibility it is to transfer the details - depends on who the microchip was registered with: Mostly it rests upon the onus of the new owner and also to ensure they have had the old owner sign the transfer form.

The old owner must microchip the animals prior to sale - they should sign a transfer form at the time of sale, but they do not have to lodge it on behalf of the new owner.

Australasian Animal Registry:

If you are the new owner of a registered animal on the AAR database and would like to update these details, you need to complete a change of ownership form Here.The form must be signed by the previous owner and sent to AAR with a $8.00 processing fee.

If the signature of the previous owner is not available, you must complete a signed statutory declaration providing us with information on how you acquired the animal. Changes will only be proessed when both forms and payment is received.

National Pet Register:

Nothing about transferring microchip details

Central Animals Records:

Change ownership

Please note, all ownership change requests must be submitted on the appropriate documentation, or via the on-line download form.

FEES: The current fee applicable for changing ownership is $8.95 (Inc. gst) and must accompany any "change of ownership" documents lodged for processing.

Ownership changes will only be processed once both the Declaration and payment has been received, ensuring it has also been signed by BOTH the current owner/s, and new owner/s.

If you are unable to obtain the signature of the owner currently listed on the database, please phone the office (03) 9706 3187 for further advice.

Once the change has been affected, the new owner will receive an Identification Acknowledgement confirming that the change has been processed. If any problems are noted, you will be contacted.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Brisbane I believe if you bring a found dog to a vet, they are supposed to keep them and then they hand them over to the Council pound. Some vets try to hold on to strays for a few days though.

I found a dog a few weeks ago and took her to the vet to get checked for a MC.. she had a MC but it wasn't registered to anyone. I asked to hold on to the dog instead of leaving her with them and they didn't say anything against it - a dog going to the council pound always seems like such a one way trip to me :( I had her for three days before the owner saw her found dog profile on the RSPCA website and contacted me.

From memory, Vets do not HAVE a legislative obligation to keep them. I know some vets who will take an animals and ring the pound directly in Brisbane.

Yes, from what I've seen of some of the vets around here, in Brisbane ... they let the pound know of the details and it seems to be a gentleman's agreement for the vet to hold for a couple of days. Then if owner not located, they have to follow the obligation to hand the dog over to the pound. All of which presuming the dog isn't microchipped with up to date contact details.

We found a border terrier... it hopped into our car. Took to local vet to check for chip. None. Vet notified pound but it was agreed they'd keep it for two days. Dog wasn't claimed, so was sent to the pound. BUT one of the vets put her name down with the pound, in case an owner never showed. No claim, again... so vet went to the pound and adopted him. Apparently, he was a lovely natured dog & had made a huge impression during his 2 day stay at the vet's.

Edited by mita