50mm Prime Lens

teekay

So OH is going to buy me a prime lens. I'd heard you could pick up one for about $150 so not too expensive. However, he wants to get the f1.4 for nearly $400. A lot mor money.

So a question for the experienced photographers out there. Is it worth the extra money?

I've been shot down for this in the past, but I have tested the Nikon versions side by side and can't tell the difference.

Obviously the 1.4 goes one stop further, but since I never shoot beyond f2.5 (generally 2.8-4), this isn't a problem.

Thanks Huga, I was hoping you'd reply :)

After extensive Googling this morning I think I had decided the 1.8 would be best for me at the moment. I can always upgrade later if I feel the need. Photography is all pretty new to me (Just signed up for my first photography course yesterday :) ) so I don't want to spend lots of money if I can help it.

Canon.

It'll be a learning curve because I have been mostly using a 70-200mm lens at the moment.

Looking forward to experimenting.

The course I am starting in May is just a beginners course. Do you think the 50mm will be a suitable lens to use when I go?

The main difference between the 2 is in the quality of the build - the 1.8 is all plastic, and there is a higher tolerance for the glass having faults in it, so may not be uniform thickness all the way across it. The 1.4 is metal fittings, not plastic, so more robust, and has a lower tolerance within the factory for faults in the glass, so it is thus more likely you will get a better copy of the lens than with the 1,8 (which can be very hit or miss), and the lens is more robust (have heard of people who have taken a 1.8 off the cameras to have i fall apart in their hands.

Having tried each of the lens on both the Canon and the Nikon, yes I can tell the difference, and no I do not shoot at 1.4 or 1.8 - a lens is generally at its sweet spot a couple of stops down from its widest - so I generally shoot my 1.4 at 2, 2.2 or 2.4, depending on what I am shooting.

I have both the 1.8 and the 1.4. The 1.4 is obviously faster, better build quality, faster autofocus… but I used the 1.8 for years and it barely left my camera (I actually dropped my camera and broke it, and then bought another one). Because I love using the 50mm prime, the extra money was worth it for me. The 50mm 1.4 is still my most used lens, and I like to shoot wide open too.

If you're a beginner, I think the 1.8 is great and it's amazing value. :)