Starting Out In Showing

JRT Lover

We are soon to look for a new JRT puppy to add to our family after losing my old JRT a year ago. I've never had anything to do with dog shows but am considering looking for a show quality puppy so we can have a bit of fun showing her. If I buy a "pet" puppy does this mean that she's not good enough quality to be shown? Or that we could show her but just not expect to do particularly well? Or that she couldn't be shown at all?

Any tips you have for starting out in showing would be much appreciated, especially before we make a decision on a puppy.

We are soon to look for a new JRT puppy to add to our family after losing my old JRT a year ago. I've never had anything to do with dog shows but am considering looking for a show quality puppy so we can have a bit of fun showing her. If I buy a "pet" puppy does this mean that she's not good enough quality to be shown? Or that we could show her but just not expect to do particularly well? Or that she couldn't be shown at all?

Any tips you have for starting out in showing would be much appreciated, especially before we make a decision on a puppy.

I just got my puppy in November. I spoke to the breeder and told her that I wanted to show the puppy.

That meant that I was going to be given a puppy that had ( & has) the potential to meet the Breed Standards. This puppy was registered on Main Register.

You would need to look for a puppy that is able to be on the Main Register. A pet would more than likely be on Limited Register. Whilst adorable as puppies are, it may not have that extra edge & is not eligible for showing.

:)

Also bare in mind that what a breeder can give you would only be what is called a 'show POTENTIAL' puppy. No breeder can guarantee that even their most promising looking pup will grow up to be a high achieving show dog. Things like testicles not descending and all sorts of things can mean an end to a promising pups show career.

Sounds like you are mainly looking for a loving pet and hoping to have some fun showing though so I'm sure that's less of an issue for you. My recommendation is to go to lots of shows and join as many of the facebook groups that dog show people chat on as you can as well as here. Put yourself out there and show you are learning and interested and chances are you'll meet some JRT breeders in these places too. Having a history with people, even if it's mainly online and the odd meet up at a show when possible will stand you in much better stead than someone who no one knows at all, especially as many breeders aren't keen to send their most promising pups off with someone who they don't know at all.

Have a talk to some JRT breeders and get to know them. Do you want smooth or wire hair, male or female?

Really study your breed standard and know the correct movement required of the breed. (there are also some good books and webpages on movements of certain breeds). Much of this will also be learnt over time, however you need to know the basics upfront if you are serious about wanting to show, even if it is only to dabble. You also need to be critical and really get to know your animals strengths and weaknesses. Every animal has them. Even the top winning show dogs will have their own strengths and weaknesses. You will not be given a top winning show dog for your first animal, so you will need to learn how to best campaign him/her to lessen the highlight on the bad points and really show off the good points. This is mainly to do with stacking the dog -Eg: If the dog is straighter in stifle, don't stretch the back legs out too far to make it look straighter than what it actually is.

IT needs to be on the Main Registration. I would look at possibly a male pup to start off with. You don't have seasons to worry about and a breeder may be more willing to part with a male pup than a female to an unknown quantity. With the correct training, your male pup can be a valued member of the house and not pee and poop on every bush and pot-plant there is. (most common reason I get asked for females is the belief that males are dirty).

An average or low quality specimen can look a million dollars with the correct handler just like a million dollar puppy can look like crap with an inexperienced or bad handler.

Depending on the breeder - you may be asked to go into a partnership or co-own arrangement. This means the breeder still has right of input into what happens with the dog - this will mainly be around breeding rights. So if you are asked for this, make sure you are 100% comfortable with the conditions set by the breeder. If there is doubt or concern, talk to the breeder and if there is still valid doubts/concerns, I would probably look elsewhere. At the end of the day, you both have to trust one another and possibly work together. I have seen some contracts very one sided and in reality the puppy buyer is being ripped off. I have also seen puppy buyers rip off the generosity of the breeder. A contract that has gone sour is not pleasant at all and we often see on DOL those who have been part of a bad contract.

Within every breed, there are styles or types. Choose a type that you really like. I would probably also maybe start out with a style or type that is currently in the show ring. This can be a double edged sword. Fads come and go. What is currently winning in the show ring may not be strictly correct and is part of a current fad. However if you go in with something that is strictly correct and vastly different, you may get looked over because of the difference if this makes sense.

The main thing will be letting the breeder know you are interested in showing and therefor you are looking for a main register show potential pup.

You will want to find a breeder who has bred dogs that are shown either by themselves or others, and who is friendly and helpful. Not one who breeds only for the pet market but asserts their dogs are show quaiity , as a beginner you need someone experienced to guide you.

In some breeds it is relatively easy to get a show pup while in others quite difficult, I am not sure which JRT s are. But you will probably have more chance of getting a boy than a girl. It may not be a big winner as most breeders are reluctant to place their best with beginners, but a good breeder should be able to let you have a pup that is competitive enough to have fun with.

Your state breed club would be a good place to start. Or go along to a few shows and start talking to people who have dogs you like the look of.

I'm not showing (yet) but one way I think is great to get to know what's what is to go along to shows and, when you know a few people, volunteer to help. This holds with horse events and dog shows, but helping set up rings, being a runner, pencilling schedules, holding dogs, hairbrushes, numbers..... All the very boring jobs, but a couple of weeks ago I pencilled a schedule for a club show I was up, and organized ribbons for the steward and judge. So I was positioned next to the steward, could hear and see the judge work up close, see how different handlers handled and showed their dogs and saw all the dogs up close as they entered and left the ring. I also got to speak to some competitors, ask questions (in quiet times) and learnt a lot about ringcraft, the breed standard, the pizazz that the best dogs have ...... Really invaluable, interesting, and I got to help the breed and show organizers out.