Breeding For "performance", Not Show

I agree that good conformation is essential for a top performance dog. And you shouldn't be breeding on the Limited Register. Then there's the added complexity of the skill of the handler/trainer.

But if we talk about the genetic potential of temperament (see the other thread re Nature vs Nurture) we need to consider the genetic potential of working ability. My dogs do pretty well at agility and obedience but the talent my field bred ESS pulls out of her pretty little head in retrieving trials simply blows my mind - you just can't teach some of it. She's not bred for the show ring quite obviously - less coat and feathering, shorter ears, slightly longer than tall (rather than square) - and I'm sure show ESS are considered much more beautiful by many. She struggles to trot when outside the house - either runs flat out or sleeps. But her ability lies in the way she tackles terrain (blackberry is a piece of cake!), her focus to work with me and her desire to retrieve fur and feather that will see her swim 150m through icy water in the middle of winter.

Great example TSD!

Yep an awesome example. I recently rehomed a Fauve puppy - he went to a Fauve experienced home BUT his level of hunting instinct was way beyond what they'd experienced with their other two Fauves. A GPS Collar showed that at 9 months he was travelling up to 27km a night hunting across farmland (thankfully his family own a very large property). He now wears an electric collar that keeps him within a 5 acre boundary BUT IMO it shows that true working ability is just there.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep an awesome example. I recently rehomed a Fauve puppy - he went to a Fauve experienced home BUT his level of hunting instinct was way beyond what they'd experienced with their other two Fauves. A GPS Collar showed that at 9 months he was travelling up to 27km a night hunting across farmland (thankfully his family own a very large property). He now wears an electric collar that keeps him within a 5 acre boundary BUT IMO it shows that true working ability is just there.

That must have been a big shock for the new owners.

Lucky for the dog to be housed on a large enough property to contain him.