Cricket

melree

Last october, we went to the horse market and there you were. A sorry looking site, horrid skin and a bag of bones. Yet for some reason, I saw something in you, a spark that was there, even if hidden by neglect. My partner thought I was joking when I said you had to come home with me and never expected me to bid. I did though and this sad looking pony came home with me. You looked even sadder beside our big, fat shiny clydys. You barely came to thier knees, yet you held your own. I wormed you and offered you food, which you tucked into straight away, dont think you had eaten for a while. Then we found the next problem, your teeth. They didnt allow you to chew properly and you would spit out wads of food, the dentist helped with that and though you always spat some out, you loved your buckets and started to put on weight. After a bath and treatment for lice, your coat started to shine and you continued to blossom. The second dentist visit told us that you were not old but only about 13, a big shock as your condition and brand had led us to believe that you were in your 20's

Who knows what happened to you before you came to us, but you didnt like or trust people. It took a long time to build up your confidence and even then, you were always wary. You were the lucky pony who got to help mow the grass in the house yard when it was nice and green. Looking out the window and seeing you look better every day made me smile. I dont know what it was about you, but I was hooked. Every time I would walk out the back door, you came to the fence and called to me, cupboard love I know, but I loved you for it.

Last Monday, I gave you some carrots, your favourite, but you ate them too fast and got some stuck. After a long night with the vet, we were able to bring you home. You had a sore throat but seemed to be ok, getting a bit better each day. Then 2 days ago, you went off your food. Back to the vet where you didnt show her what you were feeling inside. You even started to eat there. Home again to see you deteriorate before my eyes. Your pain became worse as the day went on. You would come and stand with me while I sat with you, something you never chose to do. I knew. We gave you more pain relief but it just didnt help. Last night, we ended that pain.

Run free now Cricket, eat all you want. No more Jenny Craig paddock for you.

post-19-1114381123.jpg

:cry: RIP little Cricket ! :thumbsup::hug::hug:s to you Melree. You gave a poor unwanted pony a home and love, take courage in that.

Life is full of froth and bubble, two things stand like stone, kindness in another's troubles, courage in your own.

Regards,

Corine

Edited for spelling

Edited by fido666

Oh Melree, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Cricket. I understand your pain, there is something so special about little ponies. They steal your heart. They are smart and cheeky, full of mischief and just gorgeous!

We have Bella, a miniature pony, and if we had to part with our horses, out of two full-sized horses and Bella, if we had to choose, Bella would be the one we could never part with.

Be comforted with the wonderful, happy life you gave Cricket. You will never forget her and she will always be grateful to you. :vomit:

Guest cloverfdch

Oh Melree i am so sorry :laugh:. You did a wonderful thing when you adopted Cricket and gave her all the love and care she needed.

Rest easy Cricket :).