I Think My Dog Swallowed Some Plastic!

you will know, trust me ! it may take more than 48 hrs .. but you will soon know .. upset tummy /vomiting/'diarrhoea' but which really is just liquid escaping around a solid lump which can't move ...and that sort of thing....

you will know, trust me ! it may take more than 48 hrs .. but you will soon know .. upset tummy /vomiting/'diarrhoea' but which really is just liquid escaping around a solid lump which can't move ...and that sort of thing....

Thanks Pers, fingers crossed it doesn't get to that.

Any sign of the plastic Yonjuro? I hope he's ok.

Thanks for your concern Trinabean,

No sign of the plastic, he has had two big poops today that are perfect, I dissected but no sign of it. He may have pooped behind a bush or somewhere I can't find.

He was very good at training today so I don't really know if there is a problem. It has been around 24 hours since it potentially happened. I suppose if there is no change tomorrow in his health by this time tomorrow I can relax a bit???

He does seem a bit lethargic but it could be just tiredness from the 1.5 hours of formal training. I just don't know what to think really :confused:

Yes, I would just keep an eye on the poos and provided he is eating and drinking normally, I'd probably relax a bit after tomorrow. Yes, he could just be tired after training, he is only 6 months old and it takes a lot out of them at that age (Bruno used to sleep all the way home after training).

My dog normally saves his poo for a walk, so that makes it obvious (and public!) if there's a problem. I know the weather's not great, but if your dog is similarly-inclined you can always bag the poo and check it once you get home.

*Yes, my name is Trinabean, and I'm a poo-watcher* :o

Ronin is funny in that he never goes to the toilet on walks, he always does it at home either before or after. We are off to my mum and dad's for dinner and will be bring him with us just incase.

Well, it's been 48 hours and he seems perfectly fine, his stools are all normal and he seems his normal naughty puppy-self. I have dissected the poops I found and never found the missing plastic bit, so I dunno... he has either secretly passed it somewhere,it is still in him, or he never ate it :confused:

Either way he seems fine and eating, drinking and pooping like the little monster he is. I imagine that he would have been unwell by now if there was going to be a problem???

I have had quite enough of playing Poo Surgeon :D

Something reassuring:

My old lab once swallowed a whole set of keys (x-ray proof), and he pooped them out rofl1.gif

Ate a whole set of keys? I just visualised that one and it made me giggle a bit as my sisters lab is the same and will pretty much eat anything (he once ate an entire phonebook)!

Oh yes. He was only about a year old. This is the same lab that chewed the foundation posts of the veranda all the way through when about 9 months old.

He was the definition of destructo puppy no matter the physical, mental and emotional stimulation!

He grew into a perfectly behaved adult though. laugh.gif

If you really want to be sure stuff going in is stuff coming out... you can feed him a bit of tinned sweet corn or tinned chick peas or raw carrot. That's really obvious coming out the other end.

Then you know things are passing through ok and the plastic is probably not causing problems. But he probably up chucked it (if it was a big bit) when you weren't looking.

If my dog eats big bone splinters (20cent sized pieces of beef neck or whatever) she gets me up in the middle of the night to get those out of the system. They can come out frontways or backways. Not fun for her. I don't give her bones any more.

If you really want to be sure stuff going in is stuff coming out... you can feed him a bit of tinned sweet corn or tinned chick peas or raw carrot. That's really obvious coming out the other end.

Then you know things are passing through ok and the plastic is probably not causing problems. But he probably up chucked it (if it was a big bit) when you weren't looking.

If my dog eats big bone splinters (20cent sized pieces of beef neck or whatever) she gets me up in the middle of the night to get those out of the system. They can come out frontways or backways. Not fun for her. I don't give her bones any more.

Thanks Mrs RB,

Oh he has done plenty of big poops over the last couple of days and all look good - err... well, as good as poo can look I guess :D If it is still in there it is obviously not blocking anything at this stage. I do give him raw carrot and can see bits of that for sure LOL