Calendula As An Infusion (1:1 Vodka)

I've been using calendula on myself and reading various prep methods. One suggests doing a 1:1 infusion with 40% alcohol (eg, vodka). I would think that might be a good way to prep it for problems like hot spots, which like a drying treatment rather than a soaking. It would also allow advance prep and storage of the made-up solution (bacteria being unenclined to grow in vodka).

Has anyone used this approach?

Calendula is an astringent in its own right. This preparation has its uses but calendula tea is a better approach for skin issues in my opinion.

I've been putting a wad of flowers directly into my mouth to deal with a tooth with a cracked and infected root that's causing swelling. (It helps, btw.) Not to be argumentative, but I don't sense any astringency. On the other hand, the very mild taste of the stuff doesn't diminish much in 10 minutes, suggesting that it's not highly soluble in water (or at least saliva).

Some herbal essences are more soluble in alcohol than water. Unfortunately, science doesn't take herbalism seriously, and it doesn't look like the basic research has been done to understand what the active ingredients are in Calendula . . . and how best to get them into a solution. But it sure would be handy to have something you can make up and put in an atomizer for spraying on as required in the future.

Calendula is astringent and it is water soluble

There has been loads of research on components of Calendula - you're talking about using it as a tincture.

Edited by Steve

You just need to remember that when you add the alcohol and let the herb sit in it and age that what you are left with - a tincture is much much stronger than it is when its used in other ways.

Depending on use & your skin it may sting.

I made an infusion & then put it in a spray bottle for the rash in my head & on my chest. The doctor gave me cortisone lotion for my head but used it once & ran screaming to put my head under the tap. It burned like fire. It was alcohol based & that was the problem.

I'm with Erny too. Drink the vodka.

If you drink enough you may forget what is wrong with you :laugh: I should take my own advice now.

I've been using calendula on myself and reading various prep methods. One suggests doing a 1:1 infusion with 40% alcohol (eg, vodka). I would think that might be a good way to prep it for problems like hot spots, which like a drying treatment rather than a soaking. It would also allow advance prep and storage of the made-up solution (bacteria being unenclined to grow in vodka).

Has anyone used this approach?

If you want to take this route my opinion is you'd be best off buying calendula extract rather than making your own tincture. Extracts are standardised, cheaper to buy than making your own and less likely to pose a risk of possible bacterial/funghi & yeast growth.

Depending on use & your skin it may sting.

I made an infusion & then put it in a spray bottle for the rash in my head & on my chest. The doctor gave me cortisone lotion for my head but used it once & ran screaming to put my head under the tap. It burned like fire. It was alcohol based & that was the problem.

I'm with Erny too. Drink the vodka.

If you drink enough you may forget what is wrong with you :laugh: I should take my own advice now.

:rofl::rofl: At the bolded bit ^^