What Is A Good Simple Photo Editing Program

Boronia

Maybe some suggestions please, I am looking to install another photo editing program like Picasa (I have a very old Picasa program)

My operating system is Ubuntu/Linux...there is an editing program called F-Spot Photo Manager and Gimp Photo Editor which comes with it but I can't figure out how to edit (like crop, making lighter, shadow and altering colour).

Picasa, at least, is easy to use.

Thanks

thanks for that Perse, I tried to download it but no-go as I have an early version of Linux. I tried to edit some photos on F-spot (comes with Linux) but there is no undo in the Desaturate option so now my piccie of the Tiny Tot orchid is black and white. I clicked Desaturate to find out what it did...BIG MISTAKE!

Now I will have to slither down the steep hill again, through the bracken and wait-a-while then fight my way through the muck and giant mangroves to hopefully find the particular tree where the orchid is growing.

I only took one photo as my camera battery went pffft just after that one crucial shot :laugh:

thanks for that Perse, I tried to download it but no-go as I have an early version of Linux. I tried to edit some photos on F-spot (comes with Linux) but there is no undo in the Desaturate option so now my piccie of the Tiny Tot orchid is black and white. I clicked Desaturate to find out what it did...BIG MISTAKE!

Now I will have to slither down the steep hill again, through the bracken and wait-a-while then fight my way through the muck and giant mangroves to hopefully find the particular tree where the orchid is growing.

I only took one photo as my camera battery went pffft just after that one crucial shot :laugh:

and one lesson here - learned from bitter experience :( ) when using a program which is new - try & copy your chosen photo - save it with another name ,so you still have an original ;)

Edited by persephone

and one lesson here - learned from bitter experience :( ) when using a program which is new - try & copy your chosen photo - save it with another name ,so you still have an original ;)

two lessons have just been learned here:

1) make a copy of your photo

2) carry an extra battery

:doh:to both!

thank goodness I still had the photo in my camera (I have put the photo in the Wildlife thread)

two lessons have just been learned here:

1) make a copy of your photo

2) carry an extra battery

:doh:to both!

thank goodness I still had the photo in my camera (I have put the photo in the Wildlife thread)

:) so glad you had a copy!! The extra battery thing - yes, well, errmmm.... ;)

I have a program called photoscape, I am not sure how I got it but it is great and so easy to use, I use it more than photoshop.

Just did a quick google and it is a free download :thumbsup:

Leanne

Boronia, I think you might find it difficult to get a photo editor compatible to the Linux version you have. What did you want done with the pic. I see it in the wildlife section? Can I be of any help ?

no, it's ok thanks Marion, I think it's beyond help as the swans are too far away for my camera (Canon Power-shot A530 $5 Garage sale special) I will look around for a camera that had good telephoto and macro options for a very small amount of $$

as though that is ever going to happen! :laugh:

I will do some editing in my Picasa-15-year-old-version and some in Gimp (though it is a little clunky)

If I feel enthusiastic over the weekend I'll scramble through the mangroves and mud and see if I can take a closer swan-photo.