Open Colleges Animal Care Certificate

I thought it was more than that - but I only got a verbal price and I can't say for sure.

Depends on what options you take. If you want printed course materials or need to pay in installments, the price goes up quite a bit.

Maddy, did you do the course? If so what was it like? What sort of detail? Good for pet owners or people in industry? Any info would be good! I don't like that you have to give them all of your personal info just to find out more about the course and costs!

Maddy, did you do the course? If so what was it like? What sort of detail? Good for pet owners or people in industry? Any info would be good! I don't like that you have to give them all of your personal info just to find out more about the course and costs!

That really annoyed me too - they called a few times to try and hustle me up but the price way too far out of my league.

Now looking into some (canine) massage courses :)

I know the vet nurse one is over $5k... and you do get harrassed by email/phone by them.

You have to do 480 hours work experience/placement.... no problem there.. When I rang a few vets including mine that do a lot of placement for UQ and a couple of other ones. The general comments are they don't know much about the course and the problem they are finding with online courses is practical experience. Even with the 480 hours - you do not get enough hands on in a vet surgery and the surgery then needs to spend more time with students/graduates teaching them the practical stuff - more so than if a student went to some other training institutes.

I am now second guessing the course. While I don't mind paying the $5K if that is what the course is worth (paid more for a uni degree), I don't want to be spending the money on a course that is not widely industry accepted or recognised as being a "good one"

Something to consider.

Mystiqview, is that the Cert IV vet nursing (nationally accredited)? $5k is such a good price if it is, all our prices in Vic have gone up shockingly over the last 12 months due to the state govt getting rid of a whole heap of funding and changing funding bands and all that sort of thing! I agree $5 isn't too bad if it is a "good" course, but if it isn't valued at all in the industry and isn't going to help get a job then hmmm yeah is it really worth it.

At the moment I'm trying to find something comparable to a non-accredited course I'm sort of designing - which will be face to face classes and prac sessions and the possibility of some online assessment, and the option to do some work placement. It's just difficult to find details of the cost of non-accredited training!!

PME - yes the course is accredited. However I know from the apprentices at work - there are courses and there are courses. Some are better recognised than others as being more relevant (for want of a better word) or are better recognised by industry as the better course to do.

When I was doing the research from a few vets about how the course is regarded within industry and if they recommended certain courses. One thing they all said was they have found those with a large percentage of online learning, all students knew the theory up top but lacked the practical skill within a surgery environment. This is even with their industry placement/experience.

Lets face it - nursing is something pretty hands on. Yes you need the theory and knowledge, but you also need a pretty good practical skill as well, and with that is practice.

The other concern is if for some reason you are unable to continue with the course - you are locked into their payment for the WHOLE course. Whereas say going to TAFE/TECH - you pay per semester. You may loose a few hundred dollars with TAFE... With something like this course - it could be thousands.

As I said, I am not so worried about the $5000. I paid much more than that going to Uni in HECS fees. Its whether THAT course is a good investment when it comes time to finding employment at the end. I should also mention - I am nearly 40 so doing a complete career change now is also a consideration of whether employers think I am "TOO OLD". I need to make the right choice more than ever.

Hell no :p

If you're looking to do cert II but can't get into your local Tafe to do it, Tafe NSW offers the course online for around $500.

Edited by Maddy

If you're looking to do cert II but can't get into your local Tafe to do it, Tafe NSW offers the course online for around $500.

They're offering a cert II for $500???? I don't know how they are doing it for these prices!!! NSW must have really good funding arrangements with the state government or something. Did you do this one? And what about learning the practical components? I know the cert II has several UOC's that require learning and assessment to be done in a practical context, how do they manage that? Obviously these questions are irrelevant if you didn't do the course!

You need to consider what is the objective of doing a course of this nature.... is it just for your own interest, is it as a prerequisite to perhaps enrolling in a more qualified course or do you hope to use the certificate to get a job.

If for your own interest.... then it is a lot of money and you would be better off volunteering at a animal welfare shelter where you get the hands on knowledge.

Prerequisite.... ensure that the certificate would be accepted by any course you are wanting

Job..... firstly what sort of job would this qualify you for..... boarding kennel, grooming salon, dog training centre, RSPCA, vet nurse... chances are if these jobs would be available without the course and on whether you know someone to introduce you or just damm luck....

Best of luck in your endeavour.

They're offering a cert II for $500???? I don't know how they are doing it for these prices!!! NSW must have really good funding arrangements with the state government or something. Did you do this one? And what about learning the practical components? I know the cert II has several UOC's that require learning and assessment to be done in a practical context, how do they manage that? Obviously these questions are irrelevant if you didn't do the course!

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo=18910&selType=coursesResults

A friend who lives up that way found it for me (haven't started yet), most of the online cert IIs I found were priced between $1500 and $3000. To do the Tafe course in Tasmania is only $900ish (for non-concession holders) but being a very popular course, it's usually full within a day or so of opening, very hard to get into. I've missed it two years in a row now and finally got sick of waiting.

I'm doing the cert IV in Animal Management. It cost around $3000. They call and email persistently but this stops the moment you hand over the money. Their interest in me ended there. Getting any help you might need is near impossible and takes forever, usually just to be emailed a generic answer that doesnt actually adress your question. I would not recommend them to anyone.

I am glad then I did not take up the Vet nurse one with them D'smum.

I did my uni degree by correspondence (QUT Brisbane) as I worked full time and could not afford to give up work to study. It is hard work, but at least I could have gone into lectures if I wanted/needed to. AND I had the support there if it was needed.