My Foster Baby Is Going To Her New Home! Aargh :(

My beautiful foster puppy is due to go to her new home tomorrow :) I'm happy but sad, I'll miss her so much. This girl was born in the shelter I work at, was my first experience with whelping and knowing pups from the day they're born and she came home with me at 8 weeks old, when her siblings went home with their adoptive families. She's now 5.5 months old.

She had health issues which are now resolved and I've worked hard on her training to make her a desirable adolescent mixed breed shelter dog ( they generally aren't desirable :( ) I'm so proud of her for the lovely young dog she has grown into and I think she is going to the right, loving home.

It's so hard to let her go though, how do you do this?!?

Ps. I'm just venting to people who will understand :cry:

I understand!

The thing with my labs is they go to much better situations than I can offer.

I cannot imagine giving up a pup I knew from 0 though.

Best wishes to all.

Edited by Comrade Catdogs

The first one is always the hardest - especially if you've been through a lot together.

Try to think of it as she's now starting the next leg of her amazing life with a family that has been hand picked especially for her.

T.

I loved one of my foster boys so much that I'm sure his adoptive family thought I might be a borderline stalker type! Some rescue dogs need you more than others and some make such remarkable changes in your care that it is hard not to have a soft spot for them. A little bit of my heart goes with each and every one and what keeps me strong is knowing that these new families can offer them things I cannot. I don't have kids to play with and I am not a single dog household so you have to share me. I don't live near the beach or go for long walks in the bush and I can't take a dog to work with me everyday. The list of what I can't or don't offer goes on - that's why it is so great when a dog 'chooses' that new and perfect family and gets to live a life it always deserved.

I've also been very lucky that nearly all the new families friended me on FB and I have at least seen pics of all of them since they left here. The one I had the hardest time parting with - his wonderful new family said I could pop in to see him any time I wanted. I haven't and I wouldn't but it is nice of them to acknowledge I was feeling his loss and make the offer. I have seen him a couple of times at events and he dissed me each time. He doesn't need me now he has them. As it should be. My work preparing him for a forever home is done.

The first one is always the hardest - especially if you've been through a lot together.

Try to think of it as she's now starting the next leg of her amazing life with a family that has been hand picked especially for her.

T.

Yes the first one is the hardest, mine's still here 4 years later lol

SG I agree with T, she's off on her new adventure thanks to you.

Thanks guys :) I actually felt better about it than I thought I would, I didn't even cry! Her new family were so excited to take her home and I think they are a great match for her. Being through a shelter rather than a private rescue group we don't have as much control over where they go as we would often like to have so I was worried that someone I wasn't comfortable with would want her, I was especially worried that she might end up being an outside dog who didn't get the continuing training, structure and company she'll need in order to not turn into a brat ( she's a strong willed girl ;) ) but I'm confident these people will keep it up with her and they specifically wanted a dog that will enjoy lots of cuddles on the couch :D

I know hankdog, that was actually my biggest motivation for not keeping her, I want to be able to do it for other dogs and I'm so lucky that my own dogs are cool with visiting dogs so I'm in a good position to be able to do it. I do think they'll enjoy having me back to themselves for a while tho :laugh:

I know the feeling. When the perfect application comes along, there's a feeling of: "Yay!!!!" followed by: "Oh no! *waaagggghhh!!!!"

I bawled my eyes out for weeks over my first foster. I think the first one is the hardest but there have been others that were really, really hard to let go of. Usually the ones who we have nursed through sickness or done a lot of training with ... They all go to super awesome homes though and I keep in touch with all the families who adopt our dogs so that makes it so much easier. Good luck though, I really know how you feel. Someone pointed out to me that it's not 'natural' to take something into your home and heart, lavish love and care on it and then give it away ... so it's natural to feel sad... My husband reminds me of the good life the dog is going to and the difference the dog will make in the life of the new family :hug: