Medication For Anxiety

Miss Daisy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a behaviourist that can come out and see what's happening, observe the pack etc will be a great help.

Steve Courtney at K9 Pro would be my recommendation. http://k9pro.com.au/services/contact/

There is also SABS (Sydney Animal Behavioural Services). http://www.sabs.com.au/

Sometimes what appears to be dominance is actually fear based, I know that was the case with my own dog....she has a number of behaviours that were observed (by a lovely beaviourist) and solutions were given that I follow to this day 3 years later. smile.gif

thank you so much for these!

passing them on to my aunty. she is pretty keen on getting her dog some help.

The poor little soul is terrified NOT dominant. He should not be expected not to be terrified of large dogs - they shouldn't come over OR he should be put away somewhere he feels secure.

I'm concerned that he's being punished and misunderstood for being normal!!

Miss Daisy, I have to say that I am tending towards what Dogmad has said, except that I would say the little dog MIGHT THINK he is being punished. I know he isn't being punished by you or your aunt. It is all in their perception.

I have a little dog who is VERY VERY reactive and it hit me one day watching her react to another dog that she is, in fact, frightened.

It doesn't sound like dominance to me, it sounds like fear. Maybe a better trainer is in order? Good luck at the vet.

Agree. If a trainer starts "sprouting", run a mile. Different dogs, different methods.

Good luck. It is very distressing to see a much loved pet causing itself so much unhappiness.

If medication helps - go for it. If the dog had a heart condition that was controlled by medication, you wouldn't hesitate to use it, why not do the same for a psychological problem, if that is what it is. :) :)

A dog that might reasonably be described as "dominant" would not display any of these behaviours and I would steer clear of any trainer or behaviourist who described her as such.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with medicating an anxious dog and I wouldn't say it was a last resort either. It won't magically solve your aunt's dog's issues but it will make them easier to manage and to modify.

Dogs don't all respond in the same way to medication, but if you take a population of anxious dogs and medicate half of them, the medicated half will display significantly fewer anxious behaviours than the unmedicated group.

The best advice that you will receive on this will be from a veterinary behaviourist.

agreed.

I'll third this, a veterinary behaviourists is someone who can prescribe meds if needed.