Help My Dog Can Still Get To His Newly Operated On Leg....

Tazar

....with a huge Elizabethan collar on. He has such a long body...

Anyone go any solution until I can get a cage muzzle?

He had TPLO surgery so it is very important he doesn't lick it.

Thanks

Temporarily make a barrier of rolled up towels or the like pinned around his neck and middle of his back that prevent him from twisting his body around.

It might also help if the e-collar is more rigid, so duct tape chopsticks or similar to it to brace it if bending is allowing him to reach the surgery site.

As a last resort - cover the surgery site with loose pyjamas or similar.

Could you try cutting the foot off a sock or the sleeve off an old long sleep top/jumper over his leg and tying it on or putting a rubber band around each end to keep it on?

I suppose that would only work if he's just licking, not trying to chew or pull a bandage off :(

Can I ask where abouts in general you are and how big is your dog? I am in East Gippsland and have a stop bite collar that I just bought for my boy who had a THR if that's any help. (My dog is a GSD and it was a bit awkward for him) Or can you get a bigger cone?

I think I will try to bandage it, just worried that it might make him want to get at it more.

I am in the Macedon Ranges Bianca.a and he is a large GSD. So why was the bite collar awkward for your dog? I wonder if he would still be able to get at it with the bite collar on?

Once this one heals he is having the other done, poor boy is so unsettled....

Thanks for the tips :)

post-36665-0-14996700-1403267449_thumb.jpg

I bought the large size and it was too large (ie kept slipping down over his face) and yet it was too small because he could lick at his hip too. He is only a 34kg GSD so maybe it would work better for your boy?

In the end, we went back to a 30cm cone of shame.

post-36665-0-20668100-1403267588_thumb.jpg

Edited by bianca.a

That collar doesn't look very comfortable. My boy is 47kg, very tall and long but lean too so I am not sure if it would fit. Is there a measuring chart? He is in a crate and the cone of shame is so big, he can hardly move around. (He is in a big crate).

He has a pain patch and it on anti inflams. No sedation, unfortunately.

or putting a rubber band around each end to keep it on?

please do not ever use a rubber band on a dog's leg . It can damage circulation very easily .. :( :(

Bandaging , unless you know what you are doing can be uncomfortable /hold the leg a bit stiffly , making it sore...and also RUB STITCH ends , which feels awful , and can lead to more irritation.

I cannot safely suggest anything for tonight , sorry ..I hope you can buy a suitably large muzzle tomorrow (make sure he can open his mouth wide enough to pant and drink )

:(

Sorry am on my phone now but if you go to k9 pro website they have measurements there. I got the large. Im a bit shocked he didnt come home with any sedation. Coop came home with a full bottle of ace. Wish I lived closer so I could help. But if you think the collar may work, im happy to lend it to you. He would make my,two who are 32 and 34kg looks like little pipsqueaks.

Is he actually bothering the incision or are you worried that he might do so? If he's not bothering it then leave well enough alone.

My dog who had TPLO surgery was bandaged for the first week and when the surgeon examined her on day 7 he removed the bandage. My dog didn't bother the incision at all even though it was not covered.

Sorry am on my phone now but if you go to k9 pro website they have measurements there. I got the large. Im a bit shocked he didnt come home with any sedation. Coop came home with a full bottle of ace. Wish I lived closer so I could help. But if you think the collar may work, im happy to lend it to you. He would make my,two who are 32 and 34kg looks like little pipsqueaks.

He made it through the night without pulling his stitches out...YAY. I didn't bandage just sprayed some betadine on the wound.

He is licking it cavNott, and they stressed infection risks with licking as he was done on Wednesday. He destroyed a cone of shame collar a couple of weeks ago and pulled out a stitch after having a small lump removed on his front leg so I know he will do it if he can.

Thanks Bianca.a, I will check the measurement. I tried to order one from K9 pro in a medium (just guessing the size) but they didn't have any in stock so I have ordered the hannibal type muzzle. He is on Metacam too. He is a big boy at 47kg, my middle boy weights 40kg and my little girl weights only 27kg. She is the size of a tall kelpie! They would maybe a great picture all 5 of them in a row :)

Bugger just got on the couch, he looks comfortable for a change, so I will leave him there.

Thanks your all the advice :)

Edited by Tazar

Tazar don't put anything on the incision. It needs to be kept dry.

Also please don't even consider putting a rubber band on the leg. That would be dangerous.

Call your vet and tell him your dog is bothering the incision. The vet will probably have a solution. For sure he/she often deals with this problem.

Lol... I was saying it would make a great picture to have Bianca.a's two GSD's and my three all in a line as they vary in weight from 27-47kg.

He has not been at his wound today :). He does want to get out and run though, joys of a usually fit dog.

I have not put anything on it Thanks CavNrott.

I found a specific TPLO recovery book on line and it looks good so think I will follow their program. It is on the top dog website if interested.

Can I ask what joint supplement you have your dogs on? Vet purchased or.chemist? If chemist what is the dosage per Kg?

Thanks heaps

Lol... I was saying it would make a great picture to have Bianca.a's two GSD's and my three all in a line as they vary in weight from 27-47kg.

He has not been at his wound today :). He does want to get out and run though, joys of a usually fit dog.

I have not put anything on it Thanks CavNrott.

I found a specific TPLO recovery book on line and it looks good so think I will follow their program. It is on the top dog website if interested.

Can I ask what joint supplement you have your dogs on? Vet purchased or.chemist? If chemist what is the dosage per Kg?

Thanks heaps

You mentioned you sprayed the wound with Betadine. Good news that he's leaving the incision site alone.

I have my dogs on a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM joint supplement made by Wagners. It's a powder and you need to work out the dose for your dog. All the supplements I use are from the chemist.

edited: because I didn't read the question properly before replying.

Edited by cavNrott

Hey Bianca.a, he is doing really well, thank you. he is happy to be inside and got his Hannibal muzzle which made life a lot easier in many ways.

Thank you for the offer of your anti bite collar too.

Spoke to my vet last week and he said don't bother with glucosamine tablets, just feed him 'joint food' food and start pentosan injections once the stitches are out.

We started walking slowly about 300 metres twice today. Baby steps :)