Fleas :( :(

Guest hanko

Thank you for the advice all, I really appreciate it :flower: they seem to be bothering him more at night than in the day time, poor thing.

It's been roughly 3 weeks since I've applied Frontline - am I OK to give him Comfortis or should I wait another week to do so?

Frontline is topical and Comfortis is systemic - they are fine to be used together, especially now it's been so long since you've applied the Frontline (which can be applied fortnightly in flea infestations/for Paralysis tick prevention).

Remember that you will see adult fleas still, it can take up to 6 months to fix the problem as that is the longest flea eggs can survive without hatching (usually it's not so long).

Vacuuming can entice some pupae to "hatch" out as three things make them come out 1. movement 2. carbon dioxide (breathing) and 3. heat so that might be an idea. Also hot water (over 60 degrees C) and sunlight can kill the pupae/larvae - can't remember which stage exactly... so wash bedding and dry in sunlight.

Revolution is a good product (usually) and the way it works means that the fleas poop out "toxic turds" - so baby fleas that normally eat flea dirt (it's a lovely life to be a flea) die because they eat the poisoned poop. So Odie will be helping too if fleas bite her and then poo.

When we first moved into our rental, Indy and Daisy got quite a lot of fleas - I think because the property had been empty for a while and next door's feral cats were in the garden a fair bit.

Anyway Frontline was useless so we tried Advantage and this really seemed to get on top of the problem fairly quickly - may be worth a try?

http://www.friendsfurever.com.au/FurOPedia/advantage-for-dogs.aspx

advantage_dog_4-10kg_6pack_1.jpg

I have always used Revolution without any issues.

Until April ;)

We had a 2nd birthday party for my girl. That day a lone flea had the absolute hide to show itself!

Right in front of her breeders, this flea crawled down from her forehead towards her eyes. They discreetly squashed it and told me. I was horrified!

But as the summer had been so dry and hot, and we had bare patches of dirt. So for this summer , we will spray the areas with something for the fleas.

Treat your yard and gardens with lime, if you have access to under the house put it there too.

Treat all bedding

Flea bomb the house

Treat the dog without the problem with Advantage, Comfortis or whatever you feel comfortable with and the dog with liver disease could be bathed on a regular basis with a natural flea shampoo.

Get some Malaban ( from the produce store ) and mix it up in a pump pack and spray the cement and paver cracks, kennels etc. It's pretty nasty stuff but will get the job done

With the lime it can be applied to lawns, gardens and bare earth, you will need to water it in and watch out for plants that are sensitive to it. You can also use Dichotomous Earth in areas where you don't want to put lime.

If you have visiting cats, get rid of them.