Looking For An Article On Changes To Vic Dog Laws Re Wandering Dogs

Steph M

Has anyone seen this?

Something about new requirements for found dogs going to the pound?

Would like it to pass on to mothers dropkick partner who's DA dog 'takes itself for a walk' daily/he can't keep it in.

Which apparently is fine cause the vet picks it up every day. What wank. :)

Do you mean the one which everyone is whinging about, where vets are no longer allowed to ring the owner of a stray dog (via microchip info) to come and collect him/her from the vet but now MUST hand over to the local government authority? frown.gif Previously they would often hold it for a day or two while trying to locate owners, and would get council to collect if no owners were found in that time span.

February 2013 the DPI advised vets that they would be fined if they continued the practice. The laws had been in place since 1994, but microchips came to mean that vets could easily ID the owner and the dog would avoid the stress of impounding.

A very few shires and councils have given permission for the vets to continue to accept and reunite strays with their owners, but most of them take the "new" law quite seriously, collect the dog, impound it and fine the owners.

Again some councils will not fine the owner for a first offence of straying, provided that the dog is registered with the council, is microchipped and is wearing it's registration disc or tag. Most impounded dogs though will incur an impound fee at the very least, especially if the council has sub-contracted to the Lost Dogs Home.

OK found a newspaper story from back then in the Herald Sun.

Must say that I don't think too much of the vet if he is repeatedly holding the same dog for collection, after two or three times being a stray it fits the definition of a "nuisance dog".

EFS

Edited by RuralPug

Gawd - my council will do anything to avoid having to send a ranger to get a dog.

So taking the dog to the vet can seem much easier - as long as the vet is open...

And then when the vet has the dog - how does council prove it was a stray - if the vet gets the owner to come get it - same as if the owner had dropped the dog off for treatment? Oh while you've got him - can he have a check up?

That's the one! I dont love the idea much either, although I am sick of seeing posts from the general public (usually on facebook) when they've found a dog saying they won't call a vet or hand the dog to a pound as it isn't fair on the dog etc. There should be a fine enforced for that.

Thanks RuralPug. FWIW I don't think much of the owner either. He's hugely over committed and can't give this dog what it needs

Has anyone seen this?

Would like it to pass on to mothers dropkick partner who's DA dog 'takes itself for a walk' daily/he can't keep it in.

What a prick :mad

People like him have taken the simple pleasure of walking my greyhounds away from me...arsewipe :mad

Has anyone seen this?

What a prick :mad

People like him have taken the simple pleasure of walking my greyhounds away from me...arsewipe :mad

He is, he just has no idea. Would you believe he's an army lawyer as well? Wtf?

I don't think its intentional to let it out, he just can't keep it in. It attacked mums shih tzu last night I have just found out. I'd be putting it down. Fuming today.