For Dolers Who Run Their Own Small Business

I'm wondering if any Dolers could please assist me in learning about running a small business from home, mainly dog/bird products. Plus I make my own rodent hammocks too.

Guess I'm seeking information about learning to set one up, what is involved, best way to manage etc. Private messages are welcome.

Well done!!!! I just watched a news clip about how popular this industry is becoming.

Check with your local Council if there are bylaws, licences or anything needed.

Sometimes there might be zoning rules.

Edited by VizslaMomma

To start with you will need an Australian Business Number (ABN), you will need some idea of turnover, so you know if you need to register for GST or not - I suggest not registering, until you have to.

If you want to trade under a business name, you can register one at the same time as you do your ABN..

GET A GOOD ACCOUNTANT!!! This is the very first thing you should do.

They will apply for your ABN and business name.

They will advise you on keeping the relevant records and what you can and can't claim for your business.

You might need to meet with a few accountants before you meet one that you 'click' with - just like your doctor, hairdresser and dentist, you need to like them and be confident they can help your business.

Once you are set up, you need to advertise, how will you sell your products (an online store or will you go directly for manufacture into a chain store).

Loads of luck, it sounds like a fun business :)

Already have an ABN! Registered without GST as it was for some contract work I did for my partners business last year. My partner has an accountant too, he'll be going to see the accountant soonish for the tax year, so I can get as much info as possible together before then.

Already have an ABN! Registered without GST as it was for some contract work I did for my partners business last year. My partner has an accountant too, he'll be going to see the accountant soonish for the tax year, so I can get as much info as possible together before then.

Each State in Australia has Small Business developement facilities.

Here's your State's one

http://www.smallbusiness.wa.gov.au/

There can even be grants available if a business plan meets the criteria. Heap of info to read.

:)

You will need an ABN, Accountant, to claim set up expenses you need to aim to be making a profit within for 5 years - if you are not making a profit after 5 years then the ATO will question the legitimacy of the claims. Look at diversification of products, budget for marketing. Business name must be registered with ASIC to open a business account - which only needs an ABN number to do - but the input on the computer is mind- numbingly detailed ugh. But you have to do it. sigh .... and there is more :)

The big question is, is there a market for what you are planning? What can you offer that will set you apart from similar businesses?

Good luck :)

Thanks. How can you work out if there is a big enough market?

I know pet stores here don't sell the type of collars and leads I'm interested in importing/selling. There are a few boutique stores but because they have rent etc, they mark up their products beyond what a lot of people would spend on dog collars. Plus most of it is assembled in china.

Been doing a bit of snooping around lately as I have been searching high and low for new collars for my pack but stores in Perth are limited and what they all sell is rubbish. IMO.

What sort of computer program do you use to record everything? Can it be done in Excel?

Each State in Australia has Small Business developement facilities.

Here's your State's one

http://www.smallbusiness.wa.gov.au/

There can even be grants available if a business plan meets the criteria. Heap of info to read.

:)

Awesome, thank you!!

eta - Just booked myself in for a free Business Basics Workshop on July 22nd.

Edited by english.ivy

Dont do anything at all until you have done a business plan - as you work through that one by one it helps to know what you will do, how you will do it and how you will market it etc - It takes a while - doesnt have to be perfect but I promise you that it will mean the difference between success or not.

my tips would be for websites, if you have enough knowledge to DIY go with something with shopping cart modules like wordpress or joomla-my current preference is wordpress but everyone is different, or if you dont have enough knowledge but have some cash, pay for a business to set up a site for you that you can then manage. Make sure it has an easy shopping cart module. Managing a set up wordpress site is very much like posting to facebook these days.

get your branding done 1st, and ensure the same branding is on website, facebook page, set up an ebay shop so people can find your stuff on ebay as well.- selling on ebay gives you access to http://shop.auspost.com.au/pack-post/flat-rate-satchels/ebay-flat-rate-satchels - cheap postage. Make sure an easy to type and remember domain name is available for your business name, check http://au.godaddy.com/ to make sure your name is available.

if you are going under your previous abn, and just 'trading as' check http://www.abr.business.gov.au/ to make sure there's no other business running with your name. google the business name you want to make sure theres not another business with that name already established- you dont want to be giving them free publicity.

A lot of councils run small business courses. They will help you build a business plan etc. I'd do this before investing any money. The sad reality is that most small businesses in Australia. This can be due to no business plan, investing too much up front and not having adequate cash flow.

When selling online your local stores aren't your only competition, everyone online is. To understand your market better, before spending a cent, I would:

* survey the competition (what are their prices, how do they market, what are their differentiators?)

* survey your target market to find out what they're interested in and what they would be willing to pay. Surveymonkey is free. Be careful not to just survey friends - they will tell you what you want to hear. I would post surveys o lots of dog forums. - they are your target market. I wouldn't just do DOL - people here are likely to pay more than most.

I know a few people who have imported stuff. The common mistake is that they get excited and outlay money on stuff they can't get rid of. Part of your business plan would be how much you can afford to outlay if you don't sell stuff quickly . People are quick to say "yeah I'd be interested in that" but when it comes time to actually buy something they don't want to part with their cash.

I hope my post doesn't sound to negative ....Good luck !

A lot of councils run small business courses. They will help you build a business plan etc. I'd do this before investing any money. The sad reality is that most small businesses in Australia. This can be due to no business plan, investing too much up front and not having adequate cash flow.

When selling online your local stores aren't your only competition, everyone online is. To understand your market better, before spending a cent, I would:

* survey the competition (what are their prices, how do they market, what are their differentiators?)

* survey your target market to find out what they're interested in and what they would be willing to pay. Surveymonkey is free. Be careful not to just survey friends - they will tell you what you want to hear. I would post surveys o lots of dog forums. - they are your target market. I wouldn't just do DOL - people here are likely to pay more than most.

I know a few people who have imported stuff. The common mistake is that they get excited and outlay money on stuff they can't get rid of. Part of your business plan would be how much you can afford to outlay if you don't sell stuff quickly . People are quick to say "yeah I'd be interested in that" but when it comes time to actually buy something they don't want to part with their cash.

I hope my post doesn't sound to negative ....Good luck !

I'm going to give you things from a slightly different perspective. I've been making a range of dog gear to sell for rescue over the past couple of years but a couple of months ago I decided to turn it into a small business. I obviously already had a small client base because I'd been doing it for the rescue group, plus that gave me an idea of what sold ok.

I have a FB page and I sell at a farmer's market on Saturdays. I always have my order forms, business cards, pricing info and fabric options with me at the markets because I get a lot of orders that way. I try and keep everything bright/lively/handmade but professional, so I am keeping my costs down but still inviting interest. My main failing is that I am a terrible photographer and really should advertise my goods more on FB and keep the page more active. I think part of me is worried about getting too much attention and not being able to meet order demands.

As I said, I already have a feel for what sells because I've been doing this for a while but since doing the markets I have branched out a little, buying some low price bits and pieces to add to the stall. I've also started making items for cats and guinea pigs (the cat items sell out every week). It can be seasonal too so there is no point me trying to sell bandanas and doggy tu-tus in winter!

I think the market stall has helped me get new customers and orders. I have people who have come back to my stall over several weeks and bought more - that continued, weekly presence builds trust in your product. I've not had any returned items but I have adjusted one item on the spot and of course people return because they saw something I had and later decided they really did want it. I've been off sick the last two weeks and two different people turned up today saying they'd been looking for me previous weeks to buy things. I've had people see what I make, go home and bring their dogs back so I can measure them up. The bulk of my money comes from making custom made dog coats. There are a lot of non-standard dogs out there and a lot of people buy commercial products and are disappointed when they don't fit, so that is really the service I am selling - cheap customisation. I use a lot of stuffed dogs on my stall (purchased from op shops and sterilised) to display my wares so that perhaps people can imagine it on their dogs. Sometimes this helps when people can't remember what size their dog is - we hold the stuffed toy ones until they find a size match! Lots of people don't come to the markets with a wallet full of cash either, hence the post market orders (I send them away with the order forms and my details). So consider a market stall as a cheap way to build a clientele, even if you don't make a lot on the day. The markets I go to cost $30 and pets are welcome (that's important if you need try ons or to do measurements). I am the only one there selling pet gear, although there is someone who sells dried dog treats. I've heard of markets in other locations where lots of people bring their pets and no-one is selling pet products. So it is an untapped opportunity for some locations.

The downside is it is dark and cold at 4am! You do have to outlay a little for stall equipment (don't get too carried away - I've probably spent about $200 for my 3 table set up with 3m x 3m marquee) and if the weather is bad you may choose not even attend at all and that is a loss of money for that week. And some weeks you will be chronically busy and stressed because it all depends on you. That is the nature of running your own small business.

My only other advice is to try and think of it from your own perspective. Why would you buy that product and why would you buy it from you? I try and make things I like myself, I try and make everything look bright and fun because that is what draws my eye, I want my products to be practical/serve a purpose and not just look nice, I want them to be affordable and I try and be helpful and personable, particularly to people with pets. I'm happy to have a doggy cuddle and don't care if a person buys a damn thing - I hope it shows that I love and care about the needs of animals and not just making money.

Edited to add - Given you live in another state I'm happy to share ideas with you of what seems to sell on a pet stall and at what time of the year if that helps given you are also making some of the stock yourself. I can probably even give you some of my secret 'recipes'! I can also give you ideas of how I maximise my raw materials (mainly fabrics) and get the most out of what I have purchased while reducing waste - I don't throw much out anymore but focus on high cost items and high volume items first. I've not made anything for rats but that wouldn't require much fabric would it......

Edited by Little Gifts

Wow, can't wait to read this in full Little Gifts. I'm out at the moment.

My rat hammocks sold very well. Australia wide too. If it wasn't good enough, I would just keep it for my rats and start again. No, they don't use much fabric to make. But rats chew!!

Your sixth paragraph rings true. I make everything as I would buy it =) Is it ok to PM you a bit later?