Getting Started With Bones

Because doof couldn't tolerate bones, we've only fed them to bear a couple of times in her life. Now that it's just bear I would like to start giving her more raw food

My butcher have me some lamb necks yesterday and I gave her one this morning (I was a bit excited to give her one!) and she loved it but at lunchtime after a walk it all came back up and she's vomited once since then with a little bit of bone/meat left

Is it normal for them to spew the first time/s? Should I give her a different bone instead? She has had a chicken wing very occasionally and didn't spew with then, so I don't think she shares doof's intolerance.

Thanks in advance :)

I would start with chicken frames and turkey necks if you can get them.

I buy lamb ribs very occasionally when there is more meat on them than fat, but my Toller doesn't really tolerate lamb - they give him a funny tummy.

Sometimes I find beef tail or ox tail at Woolies, they seem to be OK. :) If she likes roo, then fresh roo tail could be good too.

Thanks guys, I'll give her a couple of days to recover and get her started on some poultry :)

Another question, the smoked bones at pet shops, are they any good for keeping them occupied? We've got some renovations about to start and she'll be coming to friends/family houses during the day with us but they probably won't want raw bones about the place

From what I've read on raw feeding website and FB groups, it's not uncommon for dogs to vomit pieces of undigested bone if they're mainly fed dry food. It's something to do with the ph level of their stomach. On a completely raw diet it's more acidic and everything gets digested properly.

Thanks guys

Their old diet was kibble with toddler scraps-bear's was mainly veg and lean meat scraps cos she is prone to tubbyness, doof ate all the carbs :laugh:

Now I think I'll change it a bit, I'll keep the kibble and selected leftovers for dinner cos the girlchild likes to feed her dinner, but mornings I want to feed raw, either frozen into a kong or some type of bone that agrees with her :) my background is with commercial pet foods though, I don't know much about raw except that it seems to make the bear happy :o

Gila I've heard that too, I wonder how long it takes to change?

I don't think I have ever had a dog of mine that could handle lamb bones of any kind, lamb flap being the worst, gave them dreadful runny poo's or colitis, often accompanied by a vomit or two. Most likely because they are very fatty.

I don't think I have ever had a dog of mine that could handle lamb bones of any kind, lamb flap being the worst, gave them dreadful runny poo's or colitis, often accompanied by a vomit or two. Most likely because they are very fatty.

Similar with Horrible Herbert nearly 9 months old.

He reacts badly with lamb.

My husband thinks it is the hidden fat in the flaps.

Poultry 'bones' should be fine.

:)