Clipper Recommendations

I'm looking to buy some cordless clippers for keeping Poppy's coat trimmed (hairy hairless crestie), but I don't know where to start looking or what brands to select etc. I'm using a beard trimmer at the moment but find they just aren't powerful enough and the battery quickly dies.

I guess I need some with a fairly small head as her face is tiny, so the beard trimmers seem a good size blade wise - hit me with your recommendations :)

Cheers

After struggling with Oster corded clippers for years I spoilt myself last year and bought some Heiniger Saphir Cordless clippers. They are brilliant. Reasonably light, and easy to manage, being cordless I don't have to work around the cord and they do not run hot after being used for a while. They have cut the time it takes me to do my dogs by about half. They are not cheap @ $365 (as per Clipperworld yesterday) but IMO well worth the extra cost. I bought an extra battery pack with mine but unless you are doing several dogs at once I don't think you need it. From memory the extra batter was about $80.

I'm not able to help you with blade size for the Cresteds I'm sorry but have a look on Clipperworld's website and they will have the details of the blades there which may help. Otherwise ring them and I'm sure they will be able to help.

The blades are all interchangeable I bought one yesterday and Clipperworld staff recommended a Buttercut brand which coat me $34 as opposed to the Heiniger brand @ $85. My Oster blades work well on then too.

Thanks Airedaler :) I'm probably looking to spend around $150-200, so the Heiniger Saphir ones may be overkill for me, but thanks for pointing me in the direction of clipper world - looks like plenty of cordless ones there, so I'll have a browse and come back for advice :)

eta - mind you, they are purple :laugh:

SaphirStyle2.JPG

Edited by CrazyCresties

If you really want to stick to a small cordless clipper I would say a Wahl Super Cordless trimmer. They are at the more powerful end of the trimmer range. professional groomers use then for sanitary grooming and face, feet, tail on Poodles etc. IMHO I wouldn't want to use them for whole body clipping, mainly because the 5 in 1 adjustable blades they use are not very enduring. But then again, I think the Saphir are gutless wonders compared to the Laube Lazor clippers that I use.

Thanks Gruf Life :)

These ones?

http://clipperworld.com.au/cordless/trimmers/wahl-cordless-battery-operated-clippers/wahl-super-cordless-clipper-with-bonus-8-metal-guide-combs-p3156.html

This is the density of coat they will need to get through, although shorter now :)

14310076250_c807a0516a_c.jpg

Yep themes the ones. Now I've seen the coat, they should be excellent for you! I thought you were talking about a powder puff. I have a hairless in tomorrow and I clip him reverse on the shortest setting of the blade on the trimmers in the link.

Yes against the growth of the hair. These clippers have a bit broader blade than the little beard trimmers you are used to, and do not have quite as super fine settings as beard trimmers. Unfortunately to get power and battery life you can't have both! But the Wahl Super Trimmer should do the job you need it for and for a long time. I use, sorry, bash, them every day on thick coats in the salon and they last for years. The blades are not as resilient as the blades that regular dog clippers use. The trimmer blades can be sharpened but often don't sharpen as well as regular blades, and can only be sharpened a couple of times. But for the coat you have you will be fine. These trimmers are the replacement for the old Wahl Bellissima trimmers so might find a run out special on those. They are essentially the same, operate the same and use the same blades.

Awesome, thanks for your expert help GL :)

I also saw this double pack of clipper and trimmer, so the trimmer might be a good size for her face.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wahl-Super-Cordless-Clipper-Super-Trimmer-Rechargeable-Pro-Hair-Grooming-Combo-/131178479727

Yes you would have all you bases covered if you wanted to go with that spend.

Just finishing off my last groom of the day and thinking about your post......the other massive advantage you have staying with trimmers are that the design of trimmer blades mean they conduct zero heat to the blade surface, therefore completely eliminating the risk of blade burns. The regular dog grooming blades like you would use on the Saphir for example, conduct massive heat to the blade surface and you have to be super careful with them on the type of grooming you need them for.

Oh, and just muck around with the length settings. If you want the 'hairless' look, go to the shortest setting on the blade and use it reverse to the coat growth. If you like a bit of cover, use a slightly longer setting and go with the lay of the hair. Muck around until you find the setting you like. I will try to remember to come here tomorrow night and post a before and after of George done with the shortest revers.

Edited by GrufLife

Would love to see the pics of George :)

Not the best, but you can just about see her back end after clipping here. She's just recovering from a bout of pyoderma (pretty common in cresties her age), so I won't touch her with the clippers for a few more weeks anyway. Louis is a true hairless - he just gets a small amount of 'bum fluff' so the beard trimmers have always been ok for him. Daisy is the puff and she goes to the groomers to be done by a pro :)

2014-07-28%252010.05.32%25201.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am another one looking for just a trimming clipper. My Borzoi has developed matts behind his ears - my Lappie gets them too.

So I thought a cordless trimmer would be good - is there any reason why a human set can't be used on a dog? The dog ones are so expensive.

I am another one looking for just a trimming clipper. My Borzoi has developed matts behind his ears - my Lappie gets them too.

So I thought a cordless trimmer would be good - is there any reason why a human set can't be used on a dog? The dog ones are so expensive.

The human ones are simply not powerful enough for most dog coats. Add to that most people do not prepare their dogs coat properly for clipping. I know many of my clients have booked in half (very badly!) clipped dogs because the motor blew on the human or cheapo dog clipper half way through, or the 'blade went blunt' which is usually code for poorly prepared coat.

With your thick coated dogs the Wahl Super Trimmer would be able to cut out matts on unprepared coat, but if you wanted to clip any larger areas of your dogs short but not surgically shaved look, then they need to be bathed and thoroughly groomed through just prior to clipping to get optimum results and care for the clippers and blades well. Ie....dirty thick coat will work the motor hard and grit in the coat will blunt blades quicker.

Did you end up with any clippers/trimmers CC??

Here is a bit of hairless eye candy for you....... Angus & Pepper visited the salon today. Pepper is hilarious using every scrap of hair he has to rock a mohawk!

Angus

Pepper

(before!)

After....