Wheezing Dog

Hi all

I have a senior dog who sometimes wheezes and coughs when we are watching the telly together at night. When he was last at the vet I did ask him about it and he said it was a lung condition and was probably due to his age. He did name the condition but it went in one ear and out the other. He said there was a medication for it if it got bad enough.

What I want to know is if anybody else has experienced this and how bad you would let it get before you started medicating.

Thanks

Edited by sarsaparilla

Thankyou. I just rang the vet and spoke to the receptionist. The vet I saw was busy, so she asked another vet who suggested that it was commonly known as lung changes. She said that as a dog aged its lung tissue hardened. Or did she say softened? It was one or the other. Sorry not a good listener :)

Yes he did listen to his chest. He was just there for his annual checkup and I mentioned the wheezing. Sorry I have never had an older dog before. He is 12 but acts and looks as if he is 2, God bless him. He is such a sweet soul. The receptionist said it is commonly known as lung changes ie in layman's language. That is the best I can do.

Thankyou to those who have taken the time to read. I was really just hoping someone else had a similar problem. It is not urgent. I only notice it at night when he is sitting next to me watching telly. I am an asthmatic and it does sound like asthma. He is not distressed.

I will just have to ask the vet for more info. I have been there three times this week and I can't afford another visit unless it is super urgent, so I will just let it ride for a bit.

it is commonly known as lung changes ie in layman's language.

:( lung changes can happen for LOTS of reasons ....it is disappointing they did not take time to explain - or even to print out something so you could read it & take it in later ...

Thanks Persephone. It's my fault too. I don't hear very well and I should ask more when I have not heard accurately. It's just easier to pretend you have heard when you haven't. Often when you tell someone you can't hear properly they either start shouting, or remember to speak clearly and face you for one minute, and then revert to mumbling or whatever they were doing. I find vets like talking to their computers not their clients.

Thanks for trying to help though, and Showdog and Starkehre too.

Thought posters might be interested.

I have just spoken with my vet and my dog has chronic bronchitis which he says is quite common in older dogs and unless it is troubling him is best left alone.

I guess my earlier question is still pertinent. When would you seek more intensive treatment for an older dog with chronic bronchitis? It is not bothering him and he loves going for walks every day.

ATM I am vacuuming everywhere to get rid of as much dust as I can which I thought might help. Any other suggestions?

I think the vacuuming is a great idea. :)

In regards to seeking more intensive treatment (please feel free to disagree anyone cos I have had no experience with it!) I think I would try something more if you notice him having longer fits of coughing, or if it looks like he's using effort to breathe, or if he starts showing other signs (he might be more prone to secondary infection)