Dog Friendly Accommodation

Pjrt

I stayed at

http://www.paringacaravanpark.com.au/

with my dog in the cabin but in her crate not the bed. And I put my swag on top of the bed - which is what I do in these cabins these days - less chance of getting smoke fumes.

The blurb says "quiet" but it is on the major truck route and trucks go all night and it's across the road from a feral hotel/motel... and you have to go back to Renmark if you want take away dinner and you better be there before 8pm or they're all shut. Gotta love South Australia. Nobody ever wants food after 8pm right? Cos nobody ever has evening hockey training or dog agility training and wants to wait until after all that running to eat?

And there is a loose dog that lives across the road from the hotel and it was nice to Frosty who grovelled for it but ... I don't think I'd take my dog for a walk around there again.

It was a nice cabin. Watch out for the red hose reels if you're backing in next to your cabin because they sit right in the blind spot and will make a mess of the back end of your car if you get too close. How I avoided the one at my cabin - I don't know.

Unfortunately if you have to stay near Renmark - as best I can tell - all the caravan parks are on that truck route.

Don't know much about Mildura except they have a nice park next to the river. I usually go the road through Lamaroo, Ouyen and Tooleybuc - again a major truck route. I have stayed at the Ouyen caravan park but they were having trouble because of water restrictions (that didn't seem to effect the football club or trotting track next door) so it was very weedy for tents and they didn't have any cabins. And the trotters will wake you up early if the itinerant workers don't. But the football oval and trotting track are nice places to take the dog for a walk.

I've stayed at the Balranald caravan park a few times. The truck noise there is less because they're set down from the road. And the trucks are going slower through there just because it's windy and there is an intersection they have to stop at and I think the speed limit is enforced not like Paringa.

There's also a couple of motels that are set back from the truck route near the river in Balranald "Sturt Motel" is one, but I've never tried to stay there with a dog.

But you need a good early start from Adelaide (10am or earlier) to make Balranald. If you leave at 2pm like I did - Renmark is a better bet. Sigh. Never want to do that again.

Balranald has dedicated cabins for people with dogs. Which is nice. It's better if you don't get people checking in at 2am or an expensive upgrade so you're not sharing a wall with a family of nine or more itinerant workers.

The expensive Balranald cabin was nice - but it had some very threatening signs up about health regulations and dogs and smoking which I found a bit puzzling since they allowed dogs in the other cabins with no scary health reg signs.

I've heard that the Cobdogla caravan park gets good reviews from dog people. It's just on the Adelaide side of Barmera. I've stayed at the Red Cliffs caravan park near Mildura a few years ago which was nice (not sure if they allow dogs in cabins as I was camping).

I'm in Waikere at the moment - camping at the caravan park. Dogs welcome but not in cabins. However, there are a lot of dog folk in town for the retrieving championships and a number of them are staying in cabins that are dog friendly. I'm planning on stopping off at Sealake on the way home - again not sure about dogs in the cabins.