Reasonably-priced Rear Seat Cover

spikey

Hubby just traded in our old wagon and now has a Statesman, so we're looking for a reasonably-priced cover for the rear seat. Our girl is medium-sized with a long coat, and doesn't often travel in the car except for her annual vet check-up and also once or twice a year to stay with her "grandparents" if we're going away on holidays. I'd like to get one with sides on it if possible, and I know the Back Seat Buddy gets excellent reviews but to be honest, given that she's rarely in the car, and the fact that she's now 14 years old (and sadly, may not be with us much longer), we really would rather not spend that sort of money. It's an older Statesman anyway, not a new one, so hubby just wants something to protect the back seat from claw marks etc.

I found this one on the Running Dog website:http://runningdog.net.au/products/sage-back-seat-protector-for-dogs - has anyone purchased from this site?

Declaration: backseat buddy user here at least four tines a week.

So sorry to be a naysayer but one word Spikey - yuck! It looks slippery and hot (and very ugly! embarrass.gif) . If the dog is only in the car once or twice a year then wouldn't a comfy cotton blanket from Big W cover the seat and do the job? For me comfort in the car for the westies is important - they travel better and often snooze. Or alternatively aren't there some cheap check ones which cover the footwell from the car shops around the same price?

Anyway, like I said sorry to rain on your parade but they look really uncomfortable to me - for the dog.

Yes, I thought the same when I looked at the photos Westiemum - how it looks is of absolutely no concern to me whatsoever, but I wondered whether it might be a bit too slippery. A lot of these things are made of similar types of material so that they're easily washable I suppose. A cotton blanket would be OK if we just wanted to cover the base of the seat and/or the footwell, but we need to cover the upright back part of the seat as well (the seats are leather), and it would be quite difficult to get a blanket to stay in place, we really need something that can attach to the rear headrests. Madam has never been one to really settle when travelling, she likes to move about, sit up, lie down for a while, sit up again, stick her nose up to the open window to have a sniff, lie down again, sit up, look out the window - and one of her favourites - stare out the windows at the people in the cars behind or beside us when you're at the traffic lights LOL. Wasn't a problem in the wagon as she either travelled in a crate or behind the cargo barrier, but neither is an option with a sedan of course!

I think I'll have a look around at the local auto shops and see whether they might have anything suitable.

Could you just use a cotton sheet? Easy to wash and shake out if required. My girl used to squish in between the kids car seats sitting on a sheet

I was thinking of an old king-size cotton sheet as a temporary measure, keeping it in place is the only thing - will have to check out the back seat and see what attachment points there are apart from the rear headrests to see if I can rig something up!

I used to use a cheap tarp, then an old mattress protector and a cotton sheet over the top. Remove the sheet for washing when needed. Tuck the edges into the gaps between the seat itself and where the seat joins the car. That was fine for everything from beach runs to every day travel, so the blanket/sheet tucked in will be just fine (and much cheaper) for the occasional car trip.

Yeah Spikey slippery for an old dog isn't good - one accident and vet fees and you're well behind financially - and particularly one who likes to move around the back seat - mine are lazy logs and love snoozing - although occasionally Mac likes to try and drive. embarrass.gif The old king sheet is a better idea - could you tie the 4 corners around the headrests?? Will be very interested in what ever solution you land on. smile.gif

Yeah Spikey slippery for an old dog isn't good - one accident and vet fees and you're well behind financially - and particularly one who likes to move around the back seat - mine are lazy logs and love snoozing - although occasionally Mac likes to try and drive. embarrass.gif The old king sheet is a better idea - could you tie the 4 corners around the headrests?? Will be very interested in what ever solution you land on. smile.gif

The back seat area in the Statesman is HUGE, so I think a king sheet will be the only thing that's big enough LOL. As you suggested, attaching the corners to the headrests would probably be the best way to go - might have to have a trial run tomorrow and see how that works. I've dug out an old seatbelt harness that came with her when hubby bought her years ago (before I met him - she was sold on by someone who got her from Shenton Park Dogs' Home) so we'll be able to use that to make travelling a bit safer for her and for us. Even though she hasn't worn it for years, thankfully she doesn't seem too bothered by it. I'll let you know what we come up with and how well it works (or doesn't, as the case may be!) :)

I used to use a cheap tarp, then an old mattress protector and a cotton sheet over the top. Remove the sheet for washing when needed. Tuck the edges into the gaps between the seat itself and where the seat joins the car. That was fine for everything from beach runs to every day travel, so the blanket/sheet tucked in will be just fine (and much cheaper) for the occasional car trip.

Thanks for that Jess - all our old mattress protectors have been cut up and used for dog bedding over the years, otherwise they would have been ideal, and we're not doing beach trips with her any more these days and don't have to worry about the seat getting wet or anything so no need for a tarp, so looks like the sheet will be the way to go.

Edited by spikey

My parents used a rug to cover the back seat when they temporarily inherited Ness. I looked at the cheap k-mart back seat covers but they seemed happy enough with the blanket for the few months they had her. I have a back seat buddy in my car but my girls spend lots of time in the car.

Check out the discount car places - repco, supercheap etc. They might have something decent to offer. Pretty sure my one came from there.

Thanks, I've checked out the local Supercr*p ... er, Supercheap :) but they didn't have anything, so will have a look in Repco on the way home tomorrow.

This is a cheap one that will cover your seats, supposedly coming from Sydney, get to you in a few days. Fabric type coating rather than plastic

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pet-Car-Seat-Cover-Dog-Cat-Waterproof-Safety-Oxford-Cloth-Washable-Color-Black-/321502013724?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item4adb03691c

Thanks for the link Kelpicuddles, didn't see your reply until today so the auction's ended on that one - I've found when ordering stuff on Ebay that it usually takes at least a week or more to get to W(ait)A(while) thanks to the great (not) service of Australia Post, and looks like I'll need something for this Thursday, so if no luck with the car accessory places, I think I'll just resort to the sheet idea and see how that goes!

There are some sellers in WA. Unfortunately not that cheap but you could message them and see if they can post straight away for you or pick up if they aren't too far. This one looks really good(located in Welshpool)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/back-Rear-Car-Seat-Pet-Dog-cat-Safety-Travel-Hammock-Cover-Mat-Blanket-orange-pu-/360972559203?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&var=&hash=item540ba42363

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Thanks for the links Kelpiecuddles, I'll check them out. Only problem is, I'd really like to actually look at the cover before buying anything as I want to make sure it won't be too slippery. Welshpool's quite a trek for us, and not sure if I can get down there before Thursday because of work. Will see how I go!

Ness - we actually had a look in Kmart today, but they didn't have anything - in fact we notice every time we go in there that our local Kmart has really reduced their range in practically all their departments except for clothing. Will have a look in another store if I can get to one this week.

Edited by spikey

I went to an equestrian rug repair place and got them to make me up a square of white ripstop canvas (won't get so hot in summer), and got d rings put on it to line up with the head rests to attach it with bits of rope. I think I'd just get some grommets if I got another one made up. It does the job really well tho. I got some holes put in it in line with where the seat belts go so I can attach the car harness too.

I usually put an old flanny sheet and a bath sheet towel on it as well - because the seat underneath is vinyl - just something a bit more comfy than plain canvas.

Cost about $60 ish but would depend on the current price of canvas and how willing the rug repair guy was.