Gluten Detecting Dogs.

shapeshifter

I've just seen though a Celiac page that there are gluten detecting dogs.

I know dogs are amazing but sealed containers and walking through a supermarket where products are next to each other.

http://youtu.be/LjJp1VI1QLo

Is this for real or is it another case of the fake labelled depression dogs (I mean the ones that don't have any supporting documentation to prove they have been diagnosed) for people that just want to take their dogs everywhere?

Edited by shapeshifter

'Throughout Australia, gluten is generally treated as an allergen under Standard 1.2.3 of the Food Standards Code. In accordance with this code, a food business must declare the presence of gluten in any food product, and claiming a food to be ‘gluten-free’ stipulates that it may not contain any detectible traces of gluten according to standard 1.2.7.'

Above from here

At present it is anything up to 20ppm is considered gluten free. Celiac groups are asking for that to change as they say that there are people out there that still react to lower levels.

I'd love for it to be true, I have been diagnosed with depression previously, I have anxiety and I'm gluten intolerant, I'd love to have a ruling where I can have a dog no matter where I rent and I can take it anywhere I like :D

I'm wondering if I can have a dog taught to recognise migraines, that would be genius and would make my life easier, means I could get home before it hits.

Edited by shapeshifter

How funny, my husband and I have made jokes before about gluten detection dogs, but I never knew they existed!

Unless they can detect it to 3ppm I don't know if I really see much point. Although could be very handy for someone who is blind and has coeliac disease.

Or I suppose it could be handy when you eat out. A lot of restaurants and cafe's are pretty terrible when it comes to cross contamination.

But still unless you have trouble reading or are blind I think it's perhaps a bit unnecessary and not really that helpful considering all the time, money and effort it takes to train a dog to be a service dog.

Edited by raineth

Wonder if they make prawn/crab detecting dogs? My mum is highly allergic to shellfish, if she swallows some it will kill her. Some restaurants think that just picking the prawn out of the meal is enough ( :eek: ) which worries me...

I guess you could train that, but it would be needed so little that it wouldn't be worth it.