Poisoned Dogs In West Australia

BCPuppy

Over the last two weeks the small town of Exmouth in WA has lost 7 dogs to poison, possibly strychnine, the baits have been found on popular dog beaches, walking areas and even residential areas. The first cases were at the end of August when 2 dogs died and 3 others were very sick. Then 10 days later another 4 dogs lost and more very sick, then one more died yesterday. Even some wildlife (rabbits) have been found dead. Whoever is leaving these baits has no regard for any life, they have been found near residences where there are small children. Everyone is very worried for our pets and children. Our poor vet and her staff are run off their feet and doing an incredible job, managing to save some of those affected.

My link

That's horrible. Why/whom would be leaving baits, are there any warning signs?

I live near some dunes and once a year there are warning signs that the shire have laid baits, I assume for culling rabbits. It's next to the dog beach.

The shire and rangers have been out putting up warnings. There have been searches for more baits and several have been found. They cannot yet confirm what the poison is as the tests take weeks. This is a deliberate act to poison dogs. We can only hope that someone is caught soon. The areas that have been affected are beaches popular with dogs and children, and areas around a town caravan park! The bait is definitely NOT rat poison or 1080, according to our vet.

As to why someone would do this horrible thing, I really cannot fathomicon_smile_mad.gif

Years ago I lost my prize BC girl to a bait :(

The agony & suffering they injure in their slow & extremely painful death is mind blowingly cruel

There are some very sick, cruel people out there :mad:mad

Please be careful BCPuppy with your pooch. I wouldn't wish the horror of this situation on anyone. I hope they catch the guilty SOB very soon before too many more beautiful innocent dogs lose their lives.

Edited by BC Crazy

Everyone is paranoid about this, there are many dogs in this town as we are very much a outdoor lifestyle type of place. It is very worrying for the many tourists coming through, hopefully there are enough notices around to keep everyone informed.We have already had many cancellations for the end of month school holidays, so this affects everyone. We have the Australia Day Cleanup this weekend and lots of people are volunteering to scour the beaches for baits. It makes me feel sick knowing how much the dogs suffered, and how upset the owners are. We can only pray that this person is caught soon.