Staffordshire Bull Terrier Not Walking

Milobee

I am just wondering if anyone has had the same experience or can offer any advice. I have a 1 year old Staffordshire bull terrier who suddenly doesn’t want to go for walks. He was previously an ok walker but recently he will just refuse. He appears keen at first and will eagerly head out of the house but once we get past the end of our street he just plants himself and refuses to move. I have tried using food and treats to encourage him to walk, which initially seemed to work but now he isn’t interested in them. I have tried to take him on walks in different areas but he still pulls up and becomes stubborn after 100 metres or so. He does enjoy having a play at home and a run round in the back yard so I know he is getting some exercise. Thanks

Hi, he seems fine that nothing else is wrong. I have tried a couple of different harnesses as well. As far as I know nothing has spooked him when out walking. I have also tried different times of the day to see if that works but he still pulls up!

First stop is the vet for a general health check.

If all comes up roses with health, then behaviour is next on the list. Think hard about any little things that may have happened on a walk previously. It could be an interaction with another dog, a frightening noise, something as simple as wheelie bins on the kerb can freak some dogs. Be firm but fair in your attempts to coax him along. Make sure his leash & collar or any other exercise gear he wears is fitted properly and comfortable.

Has your dog been to basic obedience classes? This might be a good place to start. If he has good basic obedience then maybe look at getting in a professional dog behaviourist to assess your situation and 'help you move forward'!!

My friend had a Staffy Jo who would do this and even refuse to leave the house. He won't budge at all.

Jo was taken to the vet and checked for everything, they couldn't find anything wrong. Nothing traumatic had happened to him whilst my friend had owned him. He was a rescue however and very scared of storms and loud noises. :(

I was warned about this quirk when I babysat him for a few weeks, I had never seen him do it and he loved my dogs and being at my place.

At times I couldn't even get him to go into they yard or budge from where he would sit let alone go for a walk.

He would eat and then return to his spot. No amount of coaxing even with a lead on could get him just out to the yard.

He never toileted inside, I left the back door open at all times, so although I didn't see him go outside once in 24 hours he must have at some stage. He did forget once when my pack all ran outside to a noise and he ran outside too and then looked around like whoops and ran back in.

Then there were days he ran around all over the place and outside. He had only been vet checked just before he came to my place and her vet didn't believe it was a physical issue but anxiety or a past trauma.

I know it is incredibly frustrating for his owner. I was lucky I was just babysitting as I found ignoring him when he refused was the best.

I hope your Staffy is OK and nothing shows up at the vet and that it is just a phase. Good luck :)

First stop is the vet for a general health check.

If all comes up roses with health, then behaviour is next on the list. Think hard about any little things that may have happened on a walk previously. It could be an interaction with another dog, a frightening noise, something as simple as wheelie bins on the kerb can freak some dogs. Be firm but fair in your attempts to coax him along. Make sure his leash & collar or any other exercise gear he wears is fitted properly and comfortable.

Has your dog been to basic obedience classes? This might be a good place to start. If he has good basic obedience then maybe look at getting in a professional dog behaviourist to assess your situation and 'help you move forward'!!

Thanks! The vet has checked him out and doesn't think there is anything wrong. He has had some training and was good with walking but I'm thinking we may need to do some more. He has just begun showing a very stubborn side!!!

Did the vet check his back and hips? He could have pinched a nerve and it only hurts after walking for a bit (that is how I noticed my boys problem - he would start limping and often lay down, while playing).

Can you get a chiropractor to have a look at the dog as well (if the vet couldn't find anything)?

Some harnesses can rub on dogs and they won't walk because it is uncomfortable - does he need a harness, what about a flat collar and lead (much more comfortable for a dog IMO).

If he is a puller, remember that a harness will just give more leverage to pull lower to the ground, so pull more.

It is easier for you but they get a lot more pull from a harness than a flat collar (or martingale collar)..

have you taken him to somewhere in a car ? How far does he walk then?

Yes I have tried that and he does the same thing! Will initially appear happy to walk and then pulls up and plants his paws in after walking about 100 metres.

Assuming he's ok with and likes other dogs, try walking out with a friend who also has a dog who is ok with other dogs.

Thanks Erny! I will definitely give this a go. He loves other dogs so this may help.

Did the vet check his back and hips? He could have pinched a nerve and it only hurts after walking for a bit (that is how I noticed my boys problem - he would start limping and often lay down, while playing).

Can you get a chiropractor to have a look at the dog as well (if the vet couldn't find anything)?

Some harnesses can rub on dogs and they won't walk because it is uncomfortable - does he need a harness, what about a flat collar and lead (much more comfortable for a dog IMO).

If he is a puller, remember that a harness will just give more leverage to pull lower to the ground, so pull more.

It is easier for you but they get a lot more pull from a harness than a flat collar (or martingale collar)..

Thanks for the advice Staffyluv. I didn't realise there are chiropractors that work with dogs!! It maybe something to look into. I will also try just using his flat collar with the lead to see if that makes any difference. The harness he currently has is a front leading one to help stop the pulling.

it does really sound as if he may have a pain issue , and I agree with the suggestion of a chiropractor visit :)

It is on my list now of things to try to help him!! He does run around lots and plays constantly at home without any issues...but you never know. I just wish they could talk and tell you exactly what the problem is!

yes :(

A chiropractor - walking on a collar instead of a harness - walking with another dog - walk in a totally different area -

ok - something else. What if he is driven a couple blocks away from home .. a route he knows - and set off to walk home ??

I would highly recommend a Vet/ Chiro/ Accunpture. I found a fantastic Vet that does All these things. She has made a huge difference to my dogs hip issues that I was totally unaware of till he started to show some very suttle signs of what I thought of being a just a tad lazy.

Good luck with him. Hope he improves :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks for the advice Staffyluv. I didn't realise there are chiropractors that work with dogs!! It maybe something to look into. I will also try just using his flat collar with the lead to see if that makes any difference. The harness he currently has is a front leading one to help stop the pulling.

My boy isn't very food motivated but he loves his tennis ball - he used to be a real puller.

I started walking with the tennis ball in my hand (a food reward would work as well) at my side, next to where I wanted him to walk (at heel).

Using this and the 'change direction' trick, he now walks nicely and doesn't pull very often at all - I can't say never because he gets excited when he sees other dogs and moves out to say hello.

Changing direction is simply, when the dog gets in front of you (before he pulls), turn and change the direction you are walking. It can seem like you are going in circles somedays but it works.

So does walking close to a fence or wall - having the dog between you and the fence. Don't leave enough room for him to be in front of you, so he has to walk just behind your leg.

Yes ask your vet or google for a canine chiro in your area. Physio for dogs is also good but we have had loads of success with our chiro here.