Just A Vent About Numpty Owners And Off Leash Dogs.

Malakita

Just another thought. I think that when people call out that their dog is friendly or it won't hurt you they are often just trying to defuse a situation and to calm people down. I believe it is important to stay calm if you can. I think dogs are made reactive by owners who overreact. In hindsight I wish I had been more calm when my dog was attacked.

How do you stay calm Sarsaparilla, I would like any tips! My girl has been attacked twice now by aggressive off leash dogs , the second time she was extremely badly injured - to the point where the vet was of the opinion had she been another breed she would in all likelihood not have survived. I found it impossible to remain calm when my dog was pinned to the ground by the throat by a larger dog, whilst it's mate took chunks out of her side and back. I yelled and kicked as hard as possible to get them off even though I know people say to stay calm, I just lost it and was in a red rage.

It didn't cross my mind that the attacking dogs might bite me until much later, you just do what you can at the time. I am lucky my girl is not reactive. She is rather more wary with the type of dog that attacked her. I don't think a calmer reaction would have changed much in my case - but I think the overreaction gave me the strength to boot the offenders hard enough to make them let go. I have a very bad knee, if you had asked me prior to the attack, I would have said I could not kick anything hard physically nor would I have the necessary meanness to really boot a dog, well that changed in the split second they pinned my dog. I am not happy that I did it, but would again in a heartbeat and now walk with a pole for the express purpose of defending myself and my dogs if I need to. Sad, but necessary round here now.I do try and stay calm if a dog rushes us with obviously friendly intent even though she is understandably not keen, I am trying not to transmit my nervousness.

I sent photos of her injuries and the vet report to the Council, tracked down the owner eventually and got her to pay the very large vet bill for my dog's surgery- I have not seen her with the dogs off leash again since, but no action was taken against her. Apparently not enough independent eye witnesses.icon_smile_mad.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I've asked nicely.

If I've moved my dog away.

If your dog is trying to bite my leg.

I'll happily threaten to kick it.

Would I ACTUALLY kick someone's dog? Not unless it actually latched on to me or my dog. But yeah, I would.

Sorry if that makes me horrible. I can live with that.

I will and have kicked out. I also thought my dog was going to be ripped apart right in front of me.

I have to pop into the council building tomorrow and put in a report of a repeat offender. In his words the leash laws are stupid, and his terrier was not harassing birds he was chasing rabbits (not what we saw buddy).

I dunno how to remain calm either. I've owned a reactive dog that has attacked and I've seen the damage and I was totally fine with the owner of the attacked dog putting the boot into my girl (note: that was the first and only time she ever attacked because I went back to basics with her). She was a very dominant female. I did some panicked kicking of my own on that day.

Ernie is a submissive make and rolls over or licks lips of any dog getting grumpy with him. I will NOT have him hurt. I understand that owners make mistakes (I did) but to ignore a polite request to get your dog or reel it in, to me, is just plain bad ownership. And I will kick and punch and do anything to protect my dog and myself.

Just another thought. I think that when people call out that their dog is friendly or it won't hurt you they are often just trying to defuse a situation and to calm people down. I believe it is important to stay calm if you can. I think dogs are made reactive by owners who overreact. In hindsight I wish I had been more calm when my dog was attacked.

How do you stay calm Sarsaparilla, I would like any tips! My girl has been attacked twice now by aggressive off leash dogs , the second time she was extremely badly injured - to the point where the vet was of the opinion had she been another breed she would in all likelihood not have survived. I found it impossible to remain calm when my dog was pinned to the ground by the throat by a larger dog, whilst it's mate took chunks out of her side and back. I yelled and kicked as hard as possible to get them off even though I know people say to stay calm, I just lost it and was in a red rage.

It didn't cross my mind that the attacking dogs might bite me until much later, you just do what you can at the time. I am lucky my girl is not reactive. She is rather more wary with the type of dog that attacked her. I don't think a calmer reaction would have changed much in my case - but I think the overreaction gave me the strength to boot the offenders hard enough to make them let go. I have a very bad knee, if you had asked me prior to the attack, I would have said I could not kick anything hard physically nor would I have the necessary meanness to really boot a dog, well that changed in the split second they pinned my dog. I am not happy that I did it, but would again in a heartbeat and now walk with a pole for the express purpose of defending myself and my dogs if I need to. Sad, but necessary round here now.I do try and stay calm if a dog rushes us with obviously friendly intent even though she is understandably not keen, I am trying not to transmit my nervousness.

I sent photos of her injuries and the vet report to the Council, tracked down the owner eventually and got her to pay the very large vet bill for my dog's surgery- I have not seen her with the dogs off leash again since, but no action was taken against her. Apparently not enough independent eye witnesses.icon_smile_mad.gif

I don't stay calm. I wish I had when my dog was attacked because I think I made him reactive. Some people are able to stay calm and I envy them. Usually men they just have an air of authority. I don't.

When I say 'don't kick another dog' I am talking about people who think it is okay to kick if a dog comes into their space. They seem to think it would be okay especially if it is a smaller dog with an idiot owner. If another dog approaches my dogs I aim to retreat calmly. I don't run I just move away smartly. That's my goal anyway. Given that my boy is probably going off his rocker by then it can be difficult to do. If your dog is actually being attacked then do whatever you can to protect it even if that means kicking. Personally if I kicked anything I would probably fall over (I have balance issues) and I wouldn't be much use to my dog on the ground.

Like other posters in this thread I avoid all other dogs like the plague and I get very angry with people who think it is okay to let their dog off leash in an on leash area. One idiot whose dog was allowed to roam the street told me that I needed to take my dogs to training. :banghead:

Yup. I got told that this morning by the same Yorkie owner after I asked her NICELY to reel her dog in. Twice. And I didn't use ONE swear word!

She yanked it off its feet, which made it even more frenzied and as she dragged it lunging away -- told me to train my dog.

It's too early for alcohol.

Edited by Stressmagnet

There's an off leash white fluffy that charges around our neighbourhood and then sticks it's face through our gate and snaps at my dog. It's owner is elderly and carries a stick (not sure if for his own dog, or others?).

Now my dog barks at any dog that sniffs at the gate :(

There's also a park at the end of my street (on leash) and people just take their dogs there and use chuck it launchers or tennis rackets to hit balls across the park to exercise their dogs... We used to walk through there as it back onto a nice reserve, but we avoid it now the weather is nice because chances are we'll round a former or Crest a hill and come face to face with an off leash dog. It ticks me off that people are so inconsiderate, and don't think of what might go wrong.

Edited by Jemmy