Bad Breath

I have an 8 year old male Bull Terrier who for the last month has had a smelly breath.

3 weeks ago I mentioned this to the vet at his yearly injections so they checked his heart and stomach and said he's fine

but the breath hasn't improved and if anything its even worse because I can now smell his breath and him from 20 feet away.

I've checked his teeth and his mouth for trapped bones and its all clear so I'm wondering what else can cause prolonged bad breath in dogs.

post-52871-0-84618000-1414234000_thumb.jpg

Rotting tooth, something stuck in his mouth,tonsillitis or eating poop would be the best 4 guesses. Something seriously wrong with his stomach would be next but I think you'd see other signs if it was that bad. Time for another vet visit imo

are you sure the smell is coming from his breath? Have a look at his skin - some skin conditions can give off a strong odour.

.....or could the smell be coming from the other end?? (ie gas) any change of diet? how are his poops?

just a thought. If there is a dead tooth it should have been pretty easy for your Vet to see.

Some dogs with constantly wet lip folds get what is sometimes known as lip fold dermatitis ( by some older..OK old dog owners.)

Smells as if something has died in there several weeks ago and yes you can smell it from meters away.

Cleaning the folds well with Peroxide of Hydrogen at normal chemist strength on a soft cloth every day usually clears it up in a week to 10 days.

Often a fairly regular problem with wet mouthed older dogs.

Just something to consider if teeth & digestion are OK.

I took him back the day after I posted my question and they couldn't find anything wrong and I mentioned his teeth and again nothing unusual there but they did mention that his teeth are very clean and in great condition for a 8 year old Bull Terrier who loves his cow knee bones. The only thing I have changed is no more kangaroo meat bones and amazingly his breath is back to normal so was it that or did it just improve all by itself.

Now were back to his kisses and cuddles of a morning, LOL.

• 1 month later...

Glad his breath has improved :) you might want to give him things like brisket bones or frozen turkey necks (whole) - a bit less likely to chip his teeth , or splinter ;)

06/12/14 and he's breath is still fresh and yes we do give him the Turkey necks, crunch, crunch, crunch. All our Bull Terriers have had unbelievable strong teeth because he grinds away on the bones and he's teeth are fine.

Hows this for a picture of him and his bone.

post-52871-0-31314400-1417929402_thumb.jpg post-52871-0-41780000-1417929555_thumb.jpg

Edited by LeoBullTerrier