Seed In Paw

YOLO

Our Stafford with no hair between his toes had a seed go in between his toes and I knew nothing about it until a big red angry lump came up, opened it with a scaple and viola, one large seed. Same dog, had a suddenly evr swollen leg between hock and paw. Took him to the vets, got ab's painkilelrs. within a few days lump was in a spot, anotehr few days later noticed something small and sticking out of the skin just below his hock. Pulled it very slowly, 12 to 15mm long very skinny seed came out, leg was perfect within 12 hours.

Last year our BC got a seed travelled via the side of his tooth and the swelling was under his jaw right in the middle. We could see the red swollen area and track mark in his mouth. Got drained, Ab's no seed found. A few months later, swelled up again, drained no seed found. A few weeeks later swelled up hugely, ended up having to remove the entire lump, seed was inside. Drains, seromas, moths of flushing and finally after 8 months it healed!

Hate the bloody things!

Our Stafford with no hair between his toes had a seed go in between his toes and I knew nothing about it until a big red angry lump came up, opened it with a scaple and viola, one large seed. Same dog, had a suddenly evr swollen leg between hock and paw. Took him to the vets, got ab's painkilelrs. within a few days lump was in a spot, anotehr few days later noticed something small and sticking out of the skin just below his hock. Pulled it very slowly, 12 to 15mm long very skinny seed came out, leg was perfect within 12 hours.

Last year our BC got a seed travelled via the side of his tooth and the swelling was under his jaw right in the middle. We could see the red swollen area and track mark in his mouth. Got drained, Ab's no seed found. A few months later, swelled up again, drained no seed found. A few weeeks later swelled up hugely, ended up having to remove the entire lump, seed was inside. Drains, seromas, moths of flushing and finally after 8 months it healed!

Hate the bloody things!

yes . that poor BC - .... :(

Years ago I took a beagle bitch in for a Csection which I assisted with - as the vet went to put tubes down her throat we noticed a grass seed stuck in her throat - must have only just got there because it was simple to take out but without that C section there would have been a hell of problem.

I dont thnk you can expect people who have never had experience with grass seeds to just automatically know its something that can create such a problem for dogs especially if they live in suburbia where its not as common as it is out in the boonies where we swim in them.

the barley grass(foxtail) here is awful ... and sheep can also suffer from an invasion of them, and speargrass . The speargrass seeds are very long ..and have a 'tail'. they spiral their way into skin , same as they would spiral and burrow into damp soil . It is pretty amazing when one thinks about it - seeds moving/digging !

Anyhow - when the grasses are bad in this part of the world , sheep need to be removed from paddocks (and we are talking thousands of acres in one paddock).. or slashers are used to make clear paths to water. Heavy seed loads make wool prices plummet , and sheep destined for meat are also often 'condemmed' ..as the seeds can get into muscle .

THIS PAGE has photos and some info on barley grass and its effects .

daily grind of a dog groomer pulling seeds and educating owners. Even when warned many don't listen. Id love a dollar for every time I have told an owner to 'watch out and check for grass seeds, i pulled several out of fluffys feet/armpit/mouth etc today' .......and next time I groom them there are still lots of seeds or a healing abscess with a story behind it. In so many cases it seems they dont listen until it happens to them. I have had 3 clients die from grass seeds, one up the nose, another from slow demise with heavy vet care unable to pinpoint the cause. upon death the vet opened up the dog and found a grass seed in the liver. the entry was between the ribs hiding under a huge RC Collie coat. I once commented to an owner their bitch was in season to be told it was desexed. I sent them straight to the vet and the dog had a grass seed in its uterus, entry via vulva. I have seen several boys with swollen penis area and found grass seed between penis & sheath. Too many dental abscess to mention mostly from dogs nibbling them out of their feet only to end up in their mouth, several abscess burst outward on face. Feet and armpits are the most of them though.... It goes on and on....... damn things :(

Grass seed problems...

Edited by GrufLife

daily grind of a dog groomer pulling seeds and educating owners. Even when warned many don't listen. Id love a dollar for every time I have told an owner to 'watch out and check for grass seeds, i pulled several out of fluffys feet/armpit/mouth etc today' .......and next time I groom them there are still lots of seeds or a healing abscess with a story behind it. In so many cases it seems they dont listen until it happens to them. I have had 2 clients die from grass seeds, one up the nose, another from slow demise with heavy vet care unable to pinpoint the cause. upon death the vet opened up the dog and found a grass seed in the liver. the entry was between the ribs hiding under a huge RC Collie coat. I once commented to an owner their bitch was in season to be told it was desexed. I sent them straight to the vet and the dog had a grass seed in its uterus, entry via vulva. I have seen several boys with swollen penis area and found grass seed between penis & sheath. Too many dental abscess to mention mostly from dogs nibbling them out of their feet only to end up in their mouth, several abscess burst outward on face. Feet and armpits are the most of them though.... It goes on and on....... damn things :(

Grass seed problems...

nasty .... :(

• 5 weeks later...

After some advice!! my border collie started licking his paw which became swollen, resulting in me seeing a grass seed sticking out of his foot. My dog will not let me touch his feet as he becomes very stressed and aggressive. He was taken to the vet whom muzzled him and were able to pull it out after much struggle. It later became swollen again and it is believed there is some still in his foot. I was able to quickly look at his other toes and have pulled another three out that had entered the skin and I'm unsure if they were all removed . My vet is reluctant to do surgery as last time he was sedated he fought the effects and would not go to sleep which required a higher and more dangerous dose. I am worried about getting surgery because of the danger involved in putting him to sleep. My vet said we can wait and see if they make there way out or get the surgery?? I will give it a couple of days. . Will soaking his feet in salt water every few hours have any benefit ?