Puppy Request

Arlizng

Hellor Dolers,

A friend of a friend :o recently contacted me regarding wanting to purchase a puppy...specifically labrador . This couple is still in the midst of renovations and i think they are both dog novices (aka no experience with dogs) and i'm a little concerned over what they are getting themselves into.

I typed mini essays explaining a dog is a huge responsibility and they need to be prepared for x, y and z and that i was more than happy to meet in person to discuss any doggie related

queries they have. She is quite content with sit with the internet and do research that way and ignored my and our friends' suggestions regarding puppy classes (to each their own, but i personally found it so helpful).

Now, she is asking for breeders and I'm hoping that someone will be able to point me in the right direction of a breeder who might be able to support this couple (maybe a puppy application and ongoing support if they would take it). Maybe they would listen to them instead and think it through before making a decision. I did mention that there is a dog lover's show this weekend, if she would like to pop down and chat to other breeders.

I think it would be good if the breeder is located in Sydney, if possible. I hope this is an appropriate channel and if not, please remove this thread.

Thanks in advance to everyone :o

They do know that a good number of Labradors (if not from a really good breeder) can be hell on wheels? Mine is named Trouble for a reason... nearly 9 and still as silly as they come, but at least she's grown out of the eating the house stage... errr! I didn't do enough research into breeders before getting her from a Trading Post ad I must admit... still, I wouldn't give her up for quids. I don't know if many people would put up with what I do from my dogs as they go through their crazy and destructive stages though.

T.

I have suggested shelters and lab rescues...she didn't respond and plower on to the next question...apparently that is normal for her :o

Hence i thought a breeder might be able to give her and her partner a dose of realism so they can make the best decision. :)

I entered into a lot of correspondence with NSW breeders before I got Ernie. Tell her to start talking to the breeders on DOL and to ask the right questions. I am supremely happy with Ernie the Idiot BUT I a) have owned dogs all my life, b) was fixated on temperament NOT looks (lucky me I got both!) and c) I am STILL overwhelmed some days with just how much work a pup is.

Renos?

Novice owners?

Why a labrador?

Why a labrador PUPPY?

Edited by Stressmagnet

Hence i thought a breeder might be able to give her and her partner a dose of realism so they can make the best decision. :)

Happy to send her photos of my cratered back yard; the mounds of dog hair and the sheer amount of paraphernalia. Included FREE - an audio of my kids whining about poo pickup. :D

Just because she's a novice owner doesn't mean she can't be a great owner. Everyone was a newbie at one stage.

She sounds like she's doing her research ( nothing wrong with wanting a pedigree pup from tested parents over a rescue puppy).

I'd PM lab lover and ask for some recommendations for breeders who do health testing and produce lower drive great pets.

I know it happens a lot but a labrador puppy for someone who has never owned a dog before is one heck of a starter puppy (as I'm sure stressmagnet can attest to)! If they will listen, point them in the direction of Labradog Rescue in NSW. They are fantastic and will definitely give them a reality check. They don't have puppies very often I don't think (and by the sounds of things wouldn't give one to this family anyway) but might be able to convince them to start with an older lab? I do have experience with a breeder from NSW so if you want to PM me about them then feel free.

If all else fails, make sure they have the name of a really good, really experienced trainer... they're going to need it!!!

Just because she's a novice owner doesn't mean she can't be a great owner. Everyone was a newbie at one stage.

She sounds like she's doing her research ( nothing wrong with wanting a pedigree pup from tested parents over a rescue puppy).

I'd PM lab lover and ask for some recommendations for breeders who do health testing and produce lower drive great pets.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply they COULDNT be a great owner - just that a lab puppy can be a bit much, even for an experienced owner (but definitely do-able). Megan gave great advice as did the others who replied. I'm just speaking as someone in the midst of the mayhem! :D

Since they seem to be happy to do their research, it might be a good reality check for them to meet some young labs if possible. As they are a breed that is often surrendered, I'm sure that if she can't hook up with a breeder or owner, she'd be able to meet some at a shelter.

They are lovely dogs, and I agree that everyone is a novice the first time around but it's always good to know what you are committing to in terms of energy levels and how the dog will fit in to your household. I love the breed, however I'm not cut out to own one. I had my finger broken when I was volunteering at a shelter by a lovely, friendly but powerful, boisterous and untrained lab. They are not for the faint hearted!

Happy to send her photos of my cratered back yard; the mounds of dog hair and the sheer amount of paraphernalia. Included FREE - an audio of my kids whining about poo pickup. :D

That might be a good idea so at least WHEN their puppy goes through that stage, hopefully they wouldn't get too cross with it. :)

Thank you. Just did. :thumbsup:

I know it happens a lot but a labrador puppy for someone who has never owned a dog before is one heck of a starter puppy (as I'm sure stressmagnet can attest to)! If they will listen, point them in the direction of Labradog Rescue in NSW. They are fantastic and will definitely give them a reality check. They don't have puppies very often I don't think (and by the sounds of things wouldn't give one to this family anyway) but might be able to convince them to start with an older lab? I do have experience with a breeder from NSW so if you want to PM me about them then feel free.

If all else fails, make sure they have the name of a really good, really experienced trainer... they're going to need it!!!

I've recommended puppy pre-school and dog classes, but they don't seem interested. (Maybe when puppy gets there , they might be abitmore open to it)

:) I'll msg her with information for labradog rescue in nsw as well. Thank you!

Since they seem to be happy to do their research, it might be a good reality check for them to meet some young labs if possible. As they are a breed that is often surrendered, I'm sure that if she can't hook up with a breeder or owner, she'd be able to meet some at a shelter.

They are lovely dogs, and I agree that everyone is a novice the first time around but it's always good to know what you are committing to in terms of energy levels and how the dog will fit in to your household. I love the breed, however I'm not cut out to own one. I had my finger broken when I was volunteering at a shelter by a lovely, friendly but powerful, boisterous and untrained lab. They are not for the faint hearted!

I know...All of your replies are so helpful. I'm just trying to raise awareness on their part on the breed,etc. It's up to them in the end. :o

Has your friend read "Marley and Me"? Most Lab owners can fully understand some of the antics that dog got up to and what his owners went through... it does take a heck of a lot of patience and understanding though...

T.

Lols, ive forgotten about that. I will mention it too! :D Thanks!

agree. Why do so many dog owners think others will be useless?

My first dog was a GSD x Cattle dog, no internet back then and no judgemental strangers discussing me on a forum thank Dog!

Rebanne I certainly hope I didn't come across that way. There is no reason why this family can't be fantastic dog owners but the fact is many young labs end up in pounds or locked in the back yard because of their delightful(?) exuberance. So its important she knows what she's in for. The more information they have the better.

I entered into a lot of correspondence with NSW breeders before I got Ernie. Tell her to start talking to the breeders on DOL and to ask the right questions. I am supremely happy with Ernie the Idiot BUT I a) have owned dogs all my life, b) was fixated on temperament NOT looks (lucky me I got both!) and c) I am STILL overwhelmed some days with just how much work a pup is.

Renos?

Novice owners?

Why a labrador?

Why a labrador PUPPY?

Why not?

Why?

My first dog was a GSD x Cattle dog, no internet back then and no judgemental strangers discussing me on a forum thank Dog!

Rebanne I certainly hope I didn't come across that way. There is no reason why this family can't be fantastic dog owners but the fact is many young labs end up in pounds or locked in the back yard because of their delightful(?) exuberance. So its important she knows what she's in for. The more information they have the better.

Yes you and others have come across as very judgemental.