Adaptil For A Dog That Is Scared Of Thunderstorms

kamuzz

We have the Adaptil collars and plug ins but now also stock the Sentry ones which are Lavender and Chamomile based and are heaps cheaper, one of my employees are using a collar on her Maremma and is happy with it

Edited by casowner

I'd suggest start using a crate, place his bed in there, feed him in there, give really good treats in there. Gradually work up to closing the door and increasing time in there.

That way probably by next storm season you could do adaptil + small dose valium and he will probably be a lot more comfortable. I find mileage varies with thundershirts (if the dog likes being cuddled that tends to indicate they will do well in a shirt). Adaptil I find good results for most dogs too.

Jasper is getting on a bit, and suffers severe separation anxiety. Flatties generally don't handle seperation well, but can obviously be trained fro crates, but I think we have left it far too late to tray anything like that with Jasper.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to animallover99 for sending us the thundershirt.

We had an opportunity to try it and I think it took the edge of his anxiety. Normally he spends his time going between the OH and me, but he was happy to get as close as possible to me and stay there.

25674ecf-482f-4465-8d57-247c190ef16f_zpsf46a47a2.jpg