Rescue Dog Vomiting During The Night

Seren

Hi,

Firstly hoping you all had a very Happy Christmas!

This problem is on behalf of my daughter.. She is a rescue Rough Collie from a puppy farm (but Heidi looks more of a Sheltie X to me..??)

Well when daughter got Heidi she was very thin and ate well. Nearly 2 years on and she is now finicky and vomits up to 3 times during the night nearly every night. She sleeps on daughter's bed so daughter can monitor her.

When they visit here she eats well with my 2. I told daughter maybe not so much bone and keep the meals small and often.

I don't know if that is the right advice. Heidi seems to vomit up a lot of chicken bones (daughter was feeding chicken legs) so maybe more meat than bones?? Also I have to admit here that son-in-law cannot be TOLD NOT to feed her junk food that he is eating.. chips etc.. There in lies the problem I feel... maybe too much rich food on her tummy that was starved for the first 2 years of her life?

But I am wondering if I have maybe missed something. She has been Vet checked yesterday (of many times).. and the Vet said "she has digestive issues and also anal gland problems. And feed her early in the evening to try to have her stomach emptier at night".

:crossfingers: Thanks for reading...

I'd definitely change the diet, no bones at all.

I'd be cooking up turkey mince (very lean) with rice and veggies and stop the son-in-law feeding the dog titbits - it could be something pancreas related to fat ... anything with skin on also contains too much fat for dogs with an issue.

The son-in-law needs to wake up to himself, he's being cruel - unintentionally but cruel all the same.

My friend feeds her dogs the main meal in the morning and only a small snack or two at night.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Yes!! Agreed Steph M and Her Majesty Dogmad.. I just spoke to them on the phone and said "GET REAL - you know deep down you are feeding her wrong! S-i-law if you keep doing this you will KILL her!!" They are taking her back this morning to vet as he has found a dense section on the ultrasound or something.. I said to S-i-law it could well be an obstruction of cooked indigestable food from you sneaking her food over Xmas!! I didn't pull any punches with him because my daughter knows damn well better than to feed junk food to dogs! It gets me so irrate - they do it then cry when things go wrong!

If it turns out to be an obstruction I hope the Vet tells them what to feed her over new year and onwards..

I have always spaced out chicken legs to Holly as I always feel they are too much thicker bone in ratio to meat if fed constantly...

oh well, I will try to find an article to send to son-in-law so he knows I am not just making it up.

Thanks Her Majesty I will text to daughter to buy some turkey and do a stew for her...

Maybe this thread should have been titled "How do you get through to thick ppl about feeding dogs..."

Sorry I just do run out of patience now that this obstruction has unfolded... no wonder the poor baby is vomiting :mad

Sorry I just do run out of patience now that this obstruction has unfolded... no wonder the poor baby is vomiting :mad

Sympathy with you and the little dog, Seren. Sometimes only screaming and shouting and telling them they are cruel and stupid will get through to some people.

Hopefully Heidi will pull through without permanent damage. I am so damned mad along with you.