Dew Claw Twisted - Surgery Or Not?

soothie

Hi,

My 8yo JR X Staffy has twisted his dew claw on the front foot.

Vet says it can't be removed easily and requires surgery but it may also just fall off in a few days. He advised it isn't serious so give it a few days.

I'm torn about what is the best way to proceed for my boy. Do I unnecessarily put him through surgery or do I wait patiently for a week or two to resolve itself?

He is starting to show some signs of discomfort now when he catches it but is still happy to walk and trot in the park and eat his favourite foods. Not running so much now though.

Does anyone have experience with this situation and can advise?

Cheers :)

So - has he twisted the nail off the nailbed? twisted the whole claw?Did it bleed much? i don't quite understand , sorry. if he's reasonably happy , I go with what the vet said . I agree with you - if he needs a GA .. is there anything else which could be done as well, perhaps? teeth/ear clean ... ?

Our working dogs often do dewclaws ..and depending how loose they get , I have found that a really good run on thick grass , where the dog is fanatically chasing a toy/prey/another dog may help ;) They nail gets caught, adrenaline stops any pain ..and bingo :) then all that's needed is keeping it clean until it heals. ( we are a LONG way from a vet ..and our dogs are tough - and strong)

I only know it is bent/twisted and this is the same spot dew claw that was removed a few months ago. There was a tiny bit of blood. Last time it was easily removed with a local and this time it isn't :(

He has just had his annual check up and all is good, including teeth so nothing needs to be done. I have thought about letting him chase balls and see what happens but he started to limp abit on a back leg that plays up sometimes. I think this is because he may be shifting his weight compensating for the front foot.

I might keep his walks on the low side for another day or two and then start with the balls again and see what happens. I worry this will not sort itself naturally :( I will wait a few more days and hope it sorts itself.

Thanks for the info :)

Hmm, if he has injured the same claw a couple of times I'd be inclined to have it removed. 8 isn't super old for a jrt x staffy so unless he has issues with GA I'd be inclined to wait the few days, see what happens and if it hasn't fallen off do the surgery then. If it does fall off but the injury happens a third time I'd go with surgery then for sure. IME as a human nail things hurt!!

Idiot Dog has snagged and twisted one of his dew claws twice now and in both cases, it has fallen off within a couple of days. We take dog and nail into the vet anyway just to check that everything is okay and on both occasions, nail has regrown completely normally.

Personally, I'd be very reluctant to go with GA for something that really shouldn't need it.

Some photos from the last time it happened (excuse the blurriness)

The nail still attached. It was twisted around and then upside down. I assume he did it running up the hallway but he didn't seem aware of it at all (not so much as a whimper). First I noticed was the blood he left on my bed :/

post-19844-0-98500700-1420293371_thumb.jpg

On this occasion, the nail fell off the next morning. Interestingly, it wasn't a long nail (I was keeping them very short at the time) so how he managed to twist it is beyond me.

post-19844-0-95768600-1420293377_thumb.jpg

The nail isn't going anywhere :( It is longer that the one pictured. I can't clip myself so take them up every few months. I'll have to do it more often with this boy.

He was happy to run and play last night and this morning for a few minutes in the park and must have hurt it again as he stopped wanting to run.

I've soaked the foot in warm water and salt to clean the area daily.

Decision day today, either he goes in first thing tomorrow or I wait it out another week until the following weekend which would be my next chance to take him to the vet for GA (Finally worked out what GA means!).

This happened last Tuesday. He has only started to lick the area the past 2 days. The vet said once he starts licking it should fall away pretty soon after that. He is happy to walk, trot and happy otherwise.

It might be worth discussing other options with the vet. Local anesthetic would be quicker and probably easier for everyone concerned, especially if finances are a factor.

My vet has stitched up some sizable holes in the exam room with just some local (and they healed up perfectly) and that involved snipping away damaged edges of live skin. Removing a dangling dew claw is less cutting and no stitching so it should be easier. If it was the actual toe, I'd definitely say GA but it seems excessive for a toe nail.

In situations like this where I have given the same advice it is really a matter of whether you want it to be resolved 'now' or are happy to monitor the nail. Unless the surgery being discussed was the remove the entire claw (digit amputation) It is usually just a brief intravenous anaesthetic and maybe a few minutes of gas in oder to pull off the nail, clean ups the area and apply a light dressing. For loose nails a splash block with local is often sufficient but the degree of pressure required to strip a nail that is more firmly attached will not be helped by topical application. Most dogs that are not a fan of nail ,clips are not going to allow the local to be injected to do a ring block.

The alternative it to try to keep the nail short if possible and wait for it to grow out and fall off. Sometimes placing a light dressing over it will stop it getting stuck on things further.

Splash block means that you apply the local to the skin and quick (splash it on). It works well enough for nails at are hanging by a thread and need gentle encouragement but it does not affect any deeper structures.

Ring block involves injecting the local around the area you need to numb.

I don't think it would be possible to trim the nail now as touching and pressure would likely cause pain otherwise he is happy to run until it snags on something.

The vet definately said it would only take 3 mins under GA so its only to remove the nail and advised the local wouldn't be enough this time as its still hanging in tough.

I am still torn, not sure what to do. I have my other boy going in later this month for his first Teeth cleaning and he is a big boy so will cost a bit.

Its been 5 days, can I hold on for another week and see if it goes on its own or to the point it only requires a local?

I've noticed this morning that his paw beds on that foot have become quite swollen so I'm not sure if this is a sign of infection. He was licking at it a few times overnight which until now it hasn't disturbed his sleep.

I will goto the vet first appointment available to be sure but it may come down to having this removed by GA but they may not be able to fit that in today :(

The dewclaw was able to be removed with a local today :thumbsup: The vet doesn't think he has an infection but some form of allergy flare up in the area as well. He has had an antibiotic injection as a precaution.

He had lots of bleeding after the nail removal so is all bandaged up for a few hours. Sadly, he has to wear the Elizabethan collar for a couple of days to stop the licking. Not sure how that will work tomorrow but at least I am home today so can keep an eye on him. He is really feeling sorry for himself now.

Thanks for all the advice to everyone :)