Pointers- Question And Others Experiences

Cosmolo

Definitely not looking at getting another dog any time soon- this is just research for the future!

Gone off springers I'm afraid TTSD, the pointers will only be if we decide we need/ want a big dog- otherwise will stick with ACDs and JRTs

My parent's pointer is not what I would call a fussy eater, but he is definitely not food motivated either. He eats if there are no distractions, but most other things take priority.

He is an amazing dog though! Such a beautiful temperament :)

Never had a real problem with drive for food. The two l have now would crawl into a trap for food.you need to find out what motivates them, l have put tracking, obedience,rally o jumping and endurance title on all of mine. Transferring to toys is harder the pup l have now will play tug, but unfortunately at this stage we are dealing with a health problem and the other is a rescue and is trying to figure out rules.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had Pointers for over 30 years........no 2 dogs the same........I have generally found males up to about 2 years can be finicky eaters, but saying that 2 of the 3 boys I currently have are total pigs.......you could always try the old school method of rewarding......a loving tone to your voice and a pat or scratch behind the ear, and when they have done something really good a big cuddle and happy voice saying how good they are.........Pointers like this, dogs in general want to work for you and would rather have your personal contact and acknowledgement