Insurance Dilemma

I am hoping if any of the DOLers here can give some suggestions to me regarding pet insurance.

I am currently with Petplan, and recently my dog had been diagnosed with patella issue on one of her leg.

Long story short, I opted not to do surgery until my dog shows she is in pain or limping, which she is currently not showing any of these.

yesterday, I went to the Dog lovers show and had a chat with the Petplan guy there. Expressing my situation and asking him the question: " If I choose to do surgery on this leg later on the future (in months or years to come, if he shows pain) will the surgery sill be covered?"

and the answered was "probably not" because I had disobeyed what my vet said and the surgery later on probably will cost more than currently.

if the vet said surgery had to be done now and I choose not to, then most likely insurance won't pay.

All in all, the guy said better do the surgery now which what my vet suggested and it's covered now by the way.

What a suggestion from him... :mad

now, I am in dilemma whether to still continue with pet insurance or not anymore and do the saving myself (though it will be a long way to save up $20k as what covered currently).

if I am not using pet insurance, what if my dog done some silly things and end up need big surgery or treatment (apart from that leg) which cost a fortune.

I'd get another opinion from someone else at petplan - I don't see how they could refuse to pay in the future.

And a guy at a trade show might not have the most complete understanding of their policy either.

What would be most useful, is for your vet to put in writing that a conservative approach is a valid option, and he gave you two options to choose from.

I'd get another opinion from someone else at petplan - I don't see how they could refuse to pay in the future.

And a guy at a trade show might not have the most complete understanding of their policy either.

What would be most useful, is for your vet to put in writing that a conservative approach is a valid option, and he gave you two options to choose from.

Totally agree with this.

Guest donatella

My insurer won't pay for patella full stop as they believe it's genetic so it's good pet plan even look into it

My little one has patella issues but not of an operable status and 2 vets have told me not to operate until absolutely necessary if at all.

thanks Aliwake & Denali! I had just e-mailed my vet with your suggestion.

I hope this can be used as effidence when I needed claiming this in future.

shall I email petplan or just ring them?

oh...I would love to have your vet, Donatella! I had met 4 vets , 3 said surgery , 1 said no need. and it's just grade 1 or 2.

Guest donatella

My current vet believes if I start her on cartrophen now she won't need surgery and the other said no surgery until they really struggle to walk

I need to do more research on cartrophen to see if it's worthwhile or just a sales pitch

thanks Steph M. I will do both.

Donatella, friend of mine had done the surgery for her dog and the vet advised her to bring the dog for monthly cartophen injection. she wasn't sure if this is the best option either, so check with another vet which said not necessary.

Rather than being them in, some vets will allow you to buy the cartrophan vaccine and give it to them yourself. Be warned though the little bottle is priced well over $250 though. I am doing this for an older dog.

Guest donatella

Ohh thanks for the feedback!

To be honest I haven't much faith in this vet when she told me that vets have just as much knowledge in behavior and training (when I told her I had a behaviorist/trainer) and that my dogs needed more dog friends and recommended the local dog parks.

I was of the thought cartrophen great for older dogs (had one on it) but to put my 2 year old on it is a big commitment early I would want to see the research and proven benefits

Edited by donatella