Wondering If Anyone Can Help?

2labs

I believe you. I'll gladly explain JavaScript or the nuances of Jane Austen or why William Blake was a genius and watch your eyes glaze over in return.

I 've got a visual learning style - draw me a Diagram and I'll be just fine.

Nonetheless, I will NOT be breeding Labradors. Especially not chocolate ones which are, of course the result of a recessive gene.

Edited because my eyes glazed over.

Edited by Stressmagnet

This is a crappy question I think the answer they want is recessive but they should have expanded the question because as its written any genetic disorder regardless of its mode of inheritance can be visible in the second generation and to answer it you need to know the staus of the parents. Without qualification of the status of the first generation as the question stands ....

It can show in a recessive disorder in the second generation only if both parents are carriers.

It can show 2nd generation in an autosomal dominant disorder if only one parent has the gene .

Then there is X linked which is an autosomal dominant or recessive but is linked to the X chromosome which can show in the 2nd generation

Then there is Complex disorders [polygenic] which are caused by the interactions of variations in multiple genes and environmental factors which can show in the second generation.

Edited by Steve

Hi Guys and thanks for the replies :-)

Scottsmum, yes I have emailed my dog's breeder as well, I am just waiting for a reply :-)

Thank you The Spotted Devil, I thought it must be something like that, a simple recessive trait unfortunately the genetics side of things is definitely NOT my strong suit.

I have checked my boys side, he is clear so XX both his sire and dam are also clear XX and also their parents are clear also, so he is clear by parentage. My friend's bitch is DNA clear XX, her dam is also clear XX BUT her sire is a carrier of EIC so Xx.

This is what confuses me because I figure if we mate these 2 technically all pups would be XX or clear too because mum and dad are clear HOWEVER because mum's sire is a carrier of EIC could this be what they mean? She dna's clear but can pass on the EIC from her sire to her pups?

I'm so confused.

I really appreciate all of the replies guys thanks :-)

Once you have cleared both parents you cant get that gene back in unless you use another dog which is not clear - relax with these two dogs you have nothing to worry about

I believe you. I'll gladly explain JavaScript or the nuances of Jane Austen or why William Blake was a genius and watch your eyes glaze over in return.

I 've got a visual learning style - draw me a Diagram and I'll be just fine.

Nonetheless, I will NOT be breeding Labradors. Especially not chocolate ones which are, of course the result of a recessive gene.

Edited because my eyes glazed over.

My eyes glazed at JavaScript :laugh: But Jane Austen? Add wine and I think we're both on a winner :D

Thank you all so much for your answers and help :-)

We are going to go with the short answer of recessive, and then give the example that Steve has written and with any luck it will be accepted and be okay.

I can understand that they probably word certain things in a way that I guess is meant to try to make the person applying show that they have done the research, but in all honesty if it were me I probably would have given up by now!

I just wish that they could at least give you better worded questions, and maybe a more comprehensive education booklet, but oh well we will just see how we go :-)

Thank you all so much again I really appreciate all the help you've given me :-)

Cheers Nel

Thank you all so much for your answers and help :-)

We are going to go with the short answer of recessive, and then give the example that Steve has written and with any luck it will be accepted and be okay.

I can understand that they probably word certain things in a way that I guess is meant to try to make the person applying show that they have done the research, but in all honesty if it were me I probably would have given up by now!

I just wish that they could at least give you better worded questions, and maybe a more comprehensive education booklet, but oh well we will just see how we go :-)

Thank you all so much again I really appreciate all the help you've given me :-)

Cheers Nel

After you pass and you are all done you should let them know your feedback so they can have a look at it and see if it needs amendment.

This prevents others from having to have the same problems.

I clicked.

I got brain freeze.

I think I should be banned from these threads.

Carrry on, all you smarty pants.

learn with sweet peas.... Gregor Mendel laid it out well.

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/gregor-mendel-and-the-principles-of-inheritance-593

I used to try to work these points out for the Vizslas when deciding on future lines. Sadly I used peanuts & always ended up eating them. Rarely finished the work.

:eek:

Edited by VizslaMomma