Working With Dogs

dogz101

Does anyone here do any work with dogs?

- security

- Search and rescue

- some sort of sniffing

- etc

- training

Would like peoples' opinions and stories of different jobs.

thanks

Edited by dogz101

Does anyone here do any work with dogs?

- security

- Search and rescue

- some sort of sniffing

- etc

- training

Would like peoples' opinions and stories of different jobs.

thanks

I'm a veterinary nurse and do hydrotherapy.

I used to do some dog training for a company.

I quit dog training as I found the hours weren't suitable for me (always working weekends, I like to have my weekends free to compete in dog sports) and I found a lot of the clients were really unpleasant.

I really enjoy what I do now, in vet nursing there are a few different routes you can take depending on what you're into.

In NZ Search & Rescue with dogs (USAR, LandSAR & Avalanche SAR) is all volunteer work, not sure if Aussie is the same.

I have a friend who has just got a job working with customs, not working with dogs yet, but I think she hopes to make a career move in that direction one day. Usually the dog handlers are hired from within the company.

Do you have any specific questions?

Thanks DiscoDobe,

I was thinking about customs work. Not sure if the hours and nature of work would suite me. I was also thinking of other types of scent detection work, conservation work or pet therapy. Just wondering what else there is out there for work involving dogs.

Thanks DiscoDobe,

I was thinking about customs work. Not sure if the hours and nature of work would suite me. I was also thinking of other types of scent detection work, conservation work or pet therapy. Just wondering what else there is out there for work involving dogs.

Pet therapy here is volunteer work too.

I know of a couple of people that do conservation work, it sounds pretty enjoyable if you like the outdoors and hiking. They tend to have terriers, cockers or GSPs and they take their dogs home with them. The dogs here are generally trained to indicate the presence of predator scat and are muzzled and trained to avoid native birds like kiwi.

A lot of the scent detection type jobs are through army, prison services or police here, I imagine Aussie is the same. There is a private drug detection company here though, that go to schools and offices for random drug searches. Perhaps look up something similar there?

I would love to get Bas to a point where he can be a pet therapy dog in aged care centres. Don't know if he will ever really be calm enough but he's only young, hopefully he settles down and can enjoy some visits to old folks :) But that's basically all volunteer work, usually facilitated by a therapist or lifestyle coordinator in the homes.

So who wants to volunteer to do dog physiotherapy on my evil hound...

Seems she now needs physio and massage on the sore bit, along with hot and cold compresses (or maybe just hot ones) - three to four times a day - that's twice as much physio as I get. And how the hell do I persuade her to let me do that to her leg... she keeps sitting on it so I can't get at the dodgy bit. Sigh.

Actually dog physiotherapist is a thing now that people pay for...

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

I am an animal welfare scientist, writing up my PhD. My research to date has focussed on the behaviour and welfare of dogs and cats in animal shelters. I hold a number of casual positions…University tutor and lecturer, research assistant, some contract work (mainly writing at the moment but may involve research down the track), dog trainer, cat and dog behaviourist. Love it all. It's hard keeping on top of everything at the moment - especially when my dog hobbies also require a lot of time - obedience, agility and retrieving trialling plus I just bred my first litter of ESS. Phew!

• 1 month later...

Little dog named Time, is an official member of the School Attendance team who encourage indigenous children to go to school in a remote area. His owners were members of the team & noticed that when they brought Time along, the children happily followed him. So his work was made official & Time even wears the same colour uniform shirt. He's met the Prime Minister, who I presume shook his paw & said, 'Good lad!'

http://www.indigenous.gov.au/news-and-media/stories/time-rsas-dog-becomes-star-while-helping-kids-go-school

Edited by mita