Looking To Chat To Shiba Inu Owners In Sydney

Hi,

My husband and I are looking into getting a Shiba Inu to add to our family. We currently have a 3yr old Japanese Spitz boy.

Would love to have a chat to some Shiba owners in Sydney re their experiences, breeders they recommend etc.

Thanks!

I would suggest heading to one of the sydney shows coming up at orchard hills. There are bound to be plenty of shiba owners and breeders there you can chat to.

Thanks Bjelkier, we actually thought of that last night! Will have to look the timetable up :)

Not in Sydney but I can thoroughly recommend Anna-Lee from Yukan. She has many years of owning, breeding and commitment to the breed.

Thanks WreckitWhippet! Will be in contact with them. Canberra isn't too far away :)

Lovely dogs Shibas :) Good luck with your search and research :thumbsup:

post-49154-0-19905100-1435904551_thumb.jpg

post-49154-0-74963700-1435904585_thumb.jpg

Thanks Yonjuro, do you own a Shiba?

No, I own the Husky, or rather he owns me :D I just admire Shibas and the spitz mentality they share with Huskies :)

Mental and ninja like, not!

post-26200-0-01990800-1435920810_thumb.jpg

I'm not an expert by any means, but I survivedish(I have survived, still surviving) 2 shibas. Wylie was given his wings on Xmas eve just past. He was 10 years old. I still have Loki. Loki is 13 and doing ok.

My boys were first cousins but very different in personality. Any advice I could give you would be....

Don't trust them off lead. Yes, they may have perfect recall (snork.. but sometimes a random spitz does?) but you never can trust them. It only takes one time.... Let them off all you wish but be able to grab them in a hurry.

If they can, they will kill little furry/feathery things. None of my boys have been cat agressive (they grew up with a cat who put them in their place) but shibas can and will kill things if they can. Mainly birds and rodents. I often had small fuzzy bodies left on my doorstep :( This was in a small suburban backyard. Birds (starlings and sparrows mainly) would fly across the yard and my shibas would jump up and grab them on the wing. I am not joking! I have personally witnessed this!!! Do not underestimate the shiba ability to kill stuff. :o

Also, Loki grew up learning to climb fences and kill chickens.(our chickens) He can scale a 7 foot fence if he can get a foot hold. Shibas are ninjas. I'm not joking on that either....

Dog aggression. Shibas can be dog aggressive. Wylie would have loved to have a rumble. He thought he was basically God (he was pretty awesome, let's face it :D ) Wylie had never started a fight but I never let him finish one if it did... . Wylie was very dominant and I never let him ever jump all over other dogs and when walking him I made him sit and wait before greeting strange dogs. Putting it plainly, he was a little sh** around other dogs.

Every dog can be different. Shibas aren't that hard at all. Expect the worse and in most cases you are fine.

I'm not in any way an expert, but feel free to pm me.

Edited by MC Wiggles

A bit last minute, but I help organise a meetup for Sydney Shiba Inu pet owners (can be found on facebook as Sydney Shiba Meets), we are having a meetup tomorrow at 2:30pm at O'dea reserve, Camperdown if you are interested in having a chat with some owners and their experiences. Of course, please do talk to breeders as well :)

We meet every month/two months or so. Tomorrow will be a smaller meetup but we will have another in early August with more shibas and owners