Cat Flu Weepy Eyes Contagious To Dogs?

cowanbree

I have a cat currently with the cat flu, he has received vet care and is recovering well but I was wondering if the weepy eyes part of the flu is contagious to dogs? I know the flu itself isn’t but wasn’t sure if the weeping eyes was just part of the cat flu or conjunctivitis which would spread to dogs?

No it is not contagious to dogs. The weepy eyes is caused by the cat flu (herpes virus) which dogs can't get. Only bacterial conjunctivitis is contagious, and that is very uncommon in dogs and cats (but that is what people get).

If you haven't already, get some lysine powder from your chemist or health food shop and mix it in your cat's food. 1/4 teaspoon by mouth twice daily. It reduces the number and severity of cat flu outbreaks.

Thanks Kirty. IS this likely to reoccur? It is the first time in all my years of cat ownership that I have had it and the cat affected is 13yrs old. I do wonder if it is anything to do with the new kitten Munro as he had mouth ulcers when he arrived 4mths ago?

Unfortunately if it is herpes virus, he will always have the virus. He may have had it his whole life and just never had an outbreak so hopefully it's a one off. I would use the lysine on both cats. It's perfectly safe and works brilliantly. Is he on doxycycline?

Unfortunately if it is herpes virus, he will always have the virus. He may have had it his whole life and just never had an outbreak so hopefully it's a one off. I would use the lysine on both cats. It's perfectly safe and works brilliantly. Is he on doxycycline?

Yes he is as he is quite rattley in the chest. My other cat has only sneezed a couple of times and has one slightly weepy eye so my vet has said just monitor him at this stage. All my cats are vaccinated against cat flu so how is it possible they have it? Admittedly Gibbys isn't overly recent but the young cats is

I also have my two big cats on Lysine as when they get stressed, they develop weepy eyes left over from cat flu as kittens. They are very healthy boys, havent been sick since they were first came home from pound.

But we lost their buddy last year and they both started getting sore eyes within a month from grief.

Since Lysine - no problems. I do give them a break every now and then and if I go too long,one will start to show signs his eye is playing up.

Thanks everyone. Spoke to my vet today and he said he considers Gibby to have mild viral infection which may or may not be cat flu and he suggests just keeping up the Doxy and seeing if he comes right. He is not against Lysine but said wait and see if it is needed first which I suppose is quite sensible