Scottie Is An Old Man

Gosh - more changes for you all :hug:

perhaps, instead of kibble - he can have a bit of mince OR a chicken wing?

poor Scottie - I hate restricting dog food. (I'm in the bad books as it is .. A couple of The Boss's workers have had a few weeks off - it's been cold - they've had extras ... when he looked closely yesterday he said they looked like labs! LOL )

oops ..Ah well, they enjoyed it :o

With Scottie's meal - would he scoot around using a treat ball perhaps ? That way a fraction less kibble could take ages to eat , and he wouldn't really miss it ...maybe?

he looks very comfy in his bed - good plan! :)

you are managing all the changes so well !

Thanks Perse. Lol @ the boss!

As for Scott...He wont use a treat ball. Little shitter. He never gets a bone + other protein

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

Well - we're not coping well with my return to work at all.

This is week three now and I think it's sunk in that it's a regular thing. He's started carrying on - I left my id tags inside yesterday and when I went back to get them he howled. Today I didn't hear any howling but I noticed he's been chewing on the crate (that's new).

28652231022_7363fd5b55_n.jpg2016-08-04_07-15-24 by Superspanger, on Flickr

I don't think he was like this when I did placement in March but hubby was home for a run at lunch time most days and he was getting a lot more off leash exercise and time outside.

I'm at a loss. He just breaks my heart. This really just makes me sick to the pit of my stomach and sad. Really really sad. He's warm, he's safe, he's well exercised. I leave music on even though I don't think he can hear it and I leave breakfast, a treat ball or bone - never used / eaten and a toy. I could try just leaving him in the house but I'm worried he'll damage it or things in it - as he has in the past.

As I mentioned he's gained some weight - which means he's not currently at the top of his dose for his SA meds (Amitriptyline). Has a vets visit on Monday for script repeats. Will discuss this with them - will also have his thyroid checked as I mentioned it on the CCD group I'm part of on facebook and 3/4 people who commented all said to have it tested. Keen to get the weight down - not up the meds if at all possible.

He's currently crated 8am to 3pm max (usually 2.30) four days a week. Walked twice a day rain or shine.

I can use the local doggy day care but I have some hesitations with it. Especially now he's deaf. I have spoken to some local sitters who offer day care in the right circumstances. One was a straight up no - her yard isn't "foxie proof" - so I'm glad she was honest with me. The other is a possibility - but seems a bit naive and scattered- will give her a try but I don't see it being a feasible option. But she might give us (him and the neighbours) some respite.

It's just so hard. I wouldn't wish poor mental health (human or canine) on anyone.

That is heartbreaking to see/read about . The strength needed to bend those bars comes from deep inside - I'd worry they may be wide enough to get bodyparts thru/stuck in .....Is there maybe one room he could stay in ..or , I guess, he would cause damage there too ... :(

poor old boy - not being able to hear possibly makes him feel more alone ..

Hmm.... maybe .... strips of ribbon or paper towel with a DROP of scent on them might be a slight distraction ... here, a drop of vanilla, there, a drop of lavender, a drop of cat mint tea, a drop of human sweat , or fresh grass rubbed on ...

maybe hang these around the crate ..he might interest himself sniffing- and they could be changed around daily .... would he watch TV, d'you think?

I hope the vet can do more with meds on Monday ... I suggest you suck on the rescue remedy as well as Scottie ! :hug:

Poor little mite. :(Could you get the amitriptyline in liquid form, weigh him weekly, and adjust the dose to suit based on instructions from the vet? I have it on good authority (Malcolm's, lol) that chicken flavoured medication is super tasty.

It *is* super tasty. We used to have chicken made up for Guin. I tried a tiny drop once. Tasted like chicken twisties - with a horrible after taste.

Will see what the vet says. But ultimate aim is to get fatty-boom sticks back down to 10kgs.

That is heartbreaking to see/read about . The strength needed to bend those bars comes from deep inside - I'd worry they may be wide enough to get bodyparts thru/stuck in .....Is there maybe one room he could stay in ..or , I guess, he would cause damage there too ... :( poor old boy - not being able to hear possibly makes him feel more alone ..Hmm.... maybe .... strips of ribbon or paper towel with a DROP of scent on them might be a slight distraction ... here, a drop of vanilla, there, a drop of lavender, a drop of cat mint tea, a drop of human sweat , or fresh grass rubbed on ...maybe hang these around the crate ..he might interest himself sniffing- and they could be changed around daily .... would he watch TV, d'you think? I hope the vet can do more with meds on Monday ... I suggest you suck on the rescue remedy as well as Scottie ! :hug:

I dunno Perse. I often hide treats into the blankets and I think he just gets so worked up nothing is any good til I'm home. I know he settles - I have come home to find him so out of it I've had to pick up up & I skype in and see him chilling - but you know - there's obviously periods where that isn't the case. I often leave a jumper in with him too (mine, worn a few times) which does help but... *arhg!*

Maybe I need to swill a whole bottle of the RR ...

..yes!! to the Vet Behaviourist !! :crossfingers:

Time to push for it. (well, really, long past it but the last 18 months have been so messed up)

indeed ..and Scottie may well have reacted to all the changes /your moods , etc . Hope Th VB can be a help soon!

Quick update.

We went to day care on Friday - he was fine there. Sleeping when I picked him up. Super sooky for the rest of the afternoon.

Have scoured the local pages looking for in home day care - nothing bearing fruit. Have met with 3 - they couldnt help. Waiting to meet with the 4th. I know there's not a lot out there -as I have been contacted numerous times myself through my dog walking business page asking If I do the same thing!

Vet today. We've got xanax - to give on the days he's left alone - for a short term "fix" while I wait to hear from the clinics behaviourist & we look at training options.

Not feeling super confident but we'll see how we get on. A bit nervous about dosing him up and leaving him unsupervised but will skype him every hour on the hour and if I think I need to come home I will.

I hope you both get some relief with Scotty on Xanax. It must be so worrying.

I had a quick google for VBs and behavioural trainers near you and YIKES I can see your predicament. Maybe you can get a skype consult? NB I don't think VBs can prescribe in that instance but you may at least find a trainer using humane, up-to-date methods.

(I came across a "behaviourist" ranting about the use of rewards in training, WTF?!) ETA: I know such people exist everywhere I was just floored.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

I hope you both get some relief with Scotty on Xanax. It must be so worrying.

I had a quick google for VBs and behavioural trainers near you and YIKES I can see your predicament. Maybe you can get a skype consult? NB I don't think VBs can prescribe in that instance but you may at least find a trainer using humane, up-to-date methods.

(I came across a "behaviourist" ranting about the use of rewards in training, WTF?!) ETA: I know such people exist everywhere I was just floored.

Slim pickings... fingers crossed that the one the vet recommendsis good.

Edited to add. Was it this dude?

5thanks b

Some 10 years ago, a phenomenon which I describe as ‘new age dog training’, but more commonly called ‘positive reward training’, began sweeping the world. Its origin I am unable to attribute to one particular person, but it was based in part on a belief that the methods and philosophies used in the training of dolphins could be applied in the training of dogs. (How wacko is that!!) This was at a time when a training approach generally known as ‘dominance training’ and based on how dogs behave with each other, was (quite rightfully) coming into question for a number of reasons.

Edited by Scottsmum

Yes that's him*. I could elaborate but would rather this thread stay on the topic of your beloved Sir Scotland!!

*I have misrepresented him on one front, he calls himself a 'dog psychologist' not a behaviourist...

Totally ok - and he does come up when you google my town and "dog behaviourist" so lots of people could / would fall into thinking he could be a good choice. Especially when you can not get into see the one based at the university. :(

As for my "beloved Sir Scotland" drugged him up today. Watched him on Skype while the car warmed up/defrosted (8am) He wasn't entirely impressed but he was OK and not vocal as far as I could tell. Checked in on him a number of times through the morning. I think I caught him licking the bars of the crate at one stage :eek: but by 10.30 and every time after that he was out like a light. I was worried he'd be really doughy (had to google how to spell that LOL - who's the doughy one) but he perked right up when I got home and was totally OK. Will send him off to day care tomorrow just to break it up a bit - aiming to work back up to the 4 days - plus really hate the thought of bombing him out with xanax every day. Still waiting for the behaviourist to get in touch. Will chase it up with the clinic if I've not heard from her by COB tomorrow.