Cerenia Travel Sickness

We are moving back to the UK in a few weeks and taking the dogs with us. I am a bit concerned about Poppy as she doesn't travel too well - She gets pretty nauseous and pants. We take her to the beach most days which is a short 10mins car trip, and while she has improved over the past year, she still vomits if the journey is any longer than about 20mins. I never feed her if I know she will be travelling and that certainly helps, but I am a bit worried about how she'll cope with the long trip back home.

I'll be speaking to my vet, but wondered if anyone has experience of using Cerenia tablets for travel sickness and how effective they found them? Do they actually suppress the feeling of motion sickness, or just prevent them from vomiting?

I've tried ginger and herbal travel tincures which help to some extent, but looking for something that may be a bit longer lasting for her?

Cheers :)

I think I used the Cerenia when we drove down here to Victoria, I bought them at the vet and they weren't cheap but they were brilliant for Maddie. She always got terribly car sick, she hated the car, she would start drooling before we even got out of our street and would vomit even on a 10 minute trip. Given to her half an hour before travel and we drove 1200k's with not a sign of car sickness and the best thing is it seems to have cured her! She loves the car now and we often do 200k return trips to the city for greyhound walks and she's never been sick since. Best thing is they don't zonk them out like the old travel sick tabs did, she was bright as a button the whole trip from North of Sydney to Melbourne.

That's really encouraging to hear, thanks HW! I'll ask my vet if we can get some before her long trip so we can test her with it first under supervision. Did you have to give it with food, as I try to avoid that when she is travelling?

Cheers :)

Just checked with my friend who is the vet nurse that sold it to me and yes it was Cerenia.

Nope no food, I'm the same as you I couldn't feed her at all if we were going in the car, I just gave it to her half an hour before we left. They say to give it each day but the one dose lasted the two days it took us to do the trip and the second day because I got lost we were in the car for 8 hours :o

Excellent stuff.

They are not cheap but they are very very effective. I actually used them to help my dog tolerate medication (he's allergic to gelatin) the cerenia stopped him from vomiting it up... he also hates car travel and it stopped the droolyness in the car so obviously he did feel a lot less motion sick too.

I don't know how long until you move CC but I'd ask your vet about them ASAP, my vet back home only orders them in when requested as because they are quite expensive people were a bit put off by the price and they would just sit on the shelf and expire otherwise. When I say expensive I think they were $20 per tablet and of course with Maddie's body weight she needed one and a half so I had to get two and throw the other half away. Personally I didn't think 40 bucks was that much to spend at all for her not to feel sick and awful for 1200k's.

Edited by HazyWal

I'm taking Tilly to the beach house at Christmas and will definitely be buying some for the 2 hour each-way trip.

Many clinics use it in it's injectable form for vomiting dogs regularly as it's superior to our previous option and it's non-sedating.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller