Jarrahwood Sled Race

Yonjuro

Sorry, I did not know a Sled Dog was an official breed of dog. I would feel sorry for a horse or mule to do that race.

2.4 km would be nothing to a horse pulling a kick bike and would more then likely get there much faster then the dogs :laugh:

A mule on the other hand would probably not even walk past the start line because we all know how much they prefer to do what they want when they want to.

Nice racing Ronin, love the burst of speed when the dane went past.

--Lhok

Thanks Lhok :)

The other dog was a mix of greyhound, saluki and weimaraner dunno if there was anything else???- apparently a rescue from up North - I think sometimes referred to as a 'Roo Dog" :)

that was great, looks like you nearly took a wrong turn and it looked like another dog lunged at him once. I was surprised there aren't rules for passing, like that it is only on one side. When you got passed I got a surprise, it just shot past out of nowhere, although I assume you knew they were coming.

It looks like fun for a fit person.

that was great, looks like you nearly took a wrong turn and it looked like another dog lunged at him once. I was surprised there aren't rules for passing, like that it is only on one side. When you got passed I got a surprise, it just shot past out of nowhere, although I assume you knew they were coming. It looks like fun for a fit person.

Thanks Kirislin :)

Yep, nearly missed a turn LOL. There are plenty of rules with passing but both sides are used. It is a problem when the person doesn't have the scooter behind the dog so most of the trail is covered. Dogs should also be trained not to lunge but we are novices after all :-) And yes I knew the dog that passed was coming as you need to call "TRAIL!" when you are around 50M away and then "TRAIL RIGHT" or "TRAIL LEFT" for which side you are going to go on. Person in front must slow down when the call comes and meant to pull over if their dog is troublesome :D It is called a 'sling shot' action as the dog being overtaken is slowed down so the other one can fly past and reduce overtaking problems. I think I wrote some other rules above :)

We did overtake that dog a couple of times but that one ended up as the winner and season winner over the 4 sanctioned races :)

I can assure you that there are some very unfit people - myself included :laugh: I was buggered afterwards and still have tight hamstrings LOL

Looks to me like a dog enjoying what he was bred to do. Fantastic.

Thanks Jetson :) You get it :thumbsup: much appreciated

It looks a bit cruel to me. A dog dragging you in a race for what ?

Its a pity, none of us have taken a video looking back on all the dogs and sledders at the start of the race. The dogs are super keen, so keen, they're singing (or my guy sounds like a cartoon dog barking, or a seal) and we have to have handlers holding them, because they are waiting not so patiently for their turn. They love it and are very excited to take off.

It looks a bit cruel to me. A dog dragging you in a race for what ?

Its a pity, none of us have taken a video looking back on all the dogs and sledders at the start of the race. The dogs are super keen, so keen, they're singing (or my guy sounds like a cartoon dog barking, or a seal) and we have to have handlers holding them, because they are waiting not so patiently for their turn. They love it and are very excited to take off.

:D Yep! I did some handling of the 2 and 3 dog teams on the weekend. The handling of one of the Euro Hounds almost killed me. They were both quivering with readiness - I have never felt anything like it. The whole body was so wired and all the muscles were twitching. I had massive lactic acid built up in my arms by the time they were off. The dogs go nuts with excitement before the race. One of the mixes in the 3 dog was just as hard to hold :D

Y that vid is amazing - love it. thumbsup1.gif And don't worry about newbies who don't understand that dogs need jobs - even mine - and this is what Ronin was bred to do and is happy doing - just like my westies are rodent hunters and failing that they're lounge lizards bred to keep me company!! laugh.gif That's their job!! rofl1.gif

Y that vid is amazing - love it. thumbsup1.gif And don't worry about newbies who don't understand that dogs need jobs - even mine - and this is what Ronin was bred to do and is happy doing - just like my westies are rodent hunters and failing that they're lounge lizards bred to keep me company!! laugh.gif That's their job!! rofl1.gif

Thanks very much Westiemum :)

Absolutely not worried about negative comments like the one posted. I am sure that anyone who knows me even slightly from my posts here knows that I devote an enormous amount of time to give my boy a happy, healthy and full life :)

Oh and believe me, Ronin is quite the lounge lizard himself :laugh: