How To Get Name On Puppy Waiting Lists...?

Aixiang

Hi there,

After months of research we think that a mini schnauzers would be a great fit for our family.

We live in Vic and would prefer to get a puppy from Victoria so we could meet the breeder etc. But I haven't seen any puppy listings for this breed in Vic - lots in NSW and QLD.

How do you get your name on a wait list - is it OK to email Vic breeders and ask? Or is this really annoying? How do the breeders prefer contact? How do you know which breeders are breeding?

This would be our first 'breed' addition...our past dog was from the lost dogs home, so Im not really sure how it works!

Thanks so much,

Aixiang

You don't need to wait for a breeder to advertise a litter smile.gif

Asking here for some breeder recommendations is a good start. Hopefully some people in the know of the breed might pop by and give you some names of recommended breeders to look into.

I sent emails to breeders telling them about myself, what I had researched about the breed, what I could provide for a future puppy and my plans for the pup (Companion and sports), and asked if they had any plans for future litters.

I did get some great replies, a lot had no current breeding plans but offered advice on other breeders, unfortunately others just got completely ignored, so if that happens don't feel downtrodden.

I also went to local shows and met breeders and their dogs in person. I actually ended up meeting my boys breeder at a show. Their dogs appealed to me, their temperaments were lovely, talking to her I liked their breeding ethics. I also had some other people recommend that breeder to me as well.

They didn't currently have a litter ready, but they did have a litter planned, so I did have a bit of a wait (About 10 months), but it was worth it, and the pup I ended up with is exactly what I was after.

Next Saturday is the Schnauzer club of Victoria's Champ show which would be a great starting point .

I would suggest if possible to go down and watch,i will add now that it isn't easy to talk to the breeders as they are showing & often like to watch as theer are only two club shows each year & dogs form the east often attend so its also a show where breeders can see new stock but most will be more than happy to give your there cards with details on .

Just simply ask if there able to have a chat or if not a card so you can phone/email at a better time .

Mini litters are generally sold before there born ,we rarely advertise (another state) so you would need to conatct the breeders your happy with & wait ,it will also depend if your after a certain sex & colour ,if a certain colour not all breeders bred varying colours

SCHNAUZER CLUB OF

VICTORIA INC

CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW

BULLA EXHIBITION CENTRE, UNITING LANE, BULLA

Start time is 10.30.

Great thank you - that gives me some great ideas. We'd love to attend a show so will definitely put that one in the diary. We have no preference for colour or sex.

Also can anyone give me an idea of the cost of ms that would be a pet (i.e. we have no intention of breeding or showing)?

You would be very wise to go to the Schnauzer Club Show coming up and speak to some of the breeders. There are also mini Schnauzer breeders listed with DOL. It seems that now that MOST puppies are $2000 up for limited register. Good luck in your quest. Be warned that Schnauzer breeders in general are choosy about who buys their puppies and personally, I think that's a good thing. Rarely do find schnauzers needing rehoming.

I found my breeder at an agility event as she was there with her dogs and I was there with my old dog. I approached her to talk about the breed as I already knew they were on the short-list for my next dog. So definitely head to a show and ask if it is ok to contact them, don't try to talk too much on the day as they're usually too busy. Then in an email tell them about yourself, ask some questions about health tests etc and mention you saw them and briefly spoke at the show. I think of it as laying good groundwork.

I paid under $1000 for my boy but that was almost a decade ago now. He's still super healthy and fit and I'm still really happy in my choice of breeder and breed :) they're really fun little dogs!