How To Get Her Focus When Other Dogs Are Around?

Willem

Such a lovely update :)

I had a similar chat today in class with a lady who was nearly in tears with her dog being a 'good girl' she was saying how nice it is to see some results when you've been doing hard work and I couldn't agree more

...yep, that's one of the reasons why I really like to train the dog / dogs (of course I also like just to spend time with her): it is so bloody rewarding!!!...it also shows you your own weaknesses and realms where you have to improve: when I tried intensifying the training I just finished a very stressful job and was pretty much burned out - she showed me very quick that the training wasn't working when I was stressed out and that I have to become a little bit more balanced...once I recognized this and regained my 'inner balance' her progress in behaviour improvement was amazing.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go Willem

Clearly putting some effort into dog training and getting some advice or help - goes a long way to having a great relationship with your dog.

Recall 100%...

I wonder if I will ever be able to say that about my dog. Sigh. I'm just grateful I can catch her when it's time to go. Or just before she notices it's time to go.

her recall is really amazing - I might be just lucky and she is just the type of dog as I really did nothing special. I assume using the 5 m leash and let her walk loosely most of the time and recall her when she used the whole length of the leash might have helped. We did this all the time, again and again. Now if she walks off leash 20 meter in front of me on our off leash track she always turns around reassuring that I'm still there ...a short whistle and she comes running towards me.

She has 2 Labs and a Kelpie as best friends and sometimes - when we met one of them in the off leash area - they are running side by side through the high grass going nuts...and she still comes when I call her...maybe I just found the right treats for her :D .

Edited by Willem

yesterday was the first Agility training of the year (after the long Christmas break)...and also here she showed such a matured behaviour ...we got a lot of 'wow, she has changed so much...' from our group and the instructors :thumbsup:. She run off 1x for a 2 second sniff with a dog (approx. 20 m away) from the other group so, but came back immediately when I called her...otherwise it was the most relaxed Agility training for me so far :) .