Jack Russell Grooming

I never really thought of jack russells needing much grooming.

I have a short coat cattle dog bitsa - if she gets really disgusting I wash her with baby shampoo 2 in 1, or get my favourite groomer to give her a hydrobath and blow dry - feels so nice and silky...

(dog is an absolute clown too - she sings to the blow dryer and wags her tail).

The other things I use on her coat are a shammy leather or a fake one from the $2 shop, get it damp and use that to go over her coat and get the dirt off from when she dust rolled in the back yard or baseball diamond. It usually picks up loose hair as well. Or I use a rubber curry comb - the sort with pointy fingers like a zoom groom only cheaper. Or both.

Keeps her coat nice. And a good diet helps it be a little bit sparkly too.

Hand stripping, then finishing off with a little knife stripping will keep your terrier looking it's very best. For ideas on method, try googling for terrier stripping - you will want something more like a Border Terrier finish than a Fox terrier finish though.

The very best way of all is to find a JRT exhibitor near you who is willing to let you watch and learn while they prepare a dog.

I have a bunch of stripping knives that someone backed out on buying, if you're looking for some. Ooops I probably should NOT mention that on an ordinary forum page embarrass.gif

Edited by RuralPug

I never really thought of jack russells needing much grooming.

The wire haired ones would need some :)

Rough coats in Jacks not wire ;).

They will require hand stripping, and some scissoring to keep them looking good.

• 1 month later...

Rough Coats and broken coats require hand stripping... Try not to use a stripping knife to much as it can take undercoat as well if used incorrectly, although it is definitely easier on the hands and quicker! . Avoid using a marrs comb to often as again can take undercoat. Jacks have double coats so you must maintain the undercoat. Use a stripping knife on legs and on the knees of front legs, tidy up with thinning scissors. trim around feet with normal scissors and long hairs between toes, keeps the pad close and tidy.

remove long hairs from the ears, define the stop on the head use fingers. use thinning scissors to define any other area's, ie neck, bum behind, sternum, underbelly and any other areas. Don't forget the flag on tail must be removed and tail neatened.

I use thinning scissors as I find they leave the neatness finish and avoids cut marks. The best way to get a jack looking in show condition is to do a bit each one to two weeks in order to keep 'turning' the coat.

also don't forget jacks are meant to be in Natural Coat, so a rough is not meant to look like a broken and a broken is not meant to look like a smooth.

And RuralPug is correct, you don't want your jack looking like a fox terrier..avoid looking at usa groomed jacks as they use a different technique to us in Au.

hope this has helped a bit :)

• 2 weeks later...

For a rough or broken Jack I would use my fingers, but I am a purist when it comes to hand stripping. Start with a dirty dog and take out the bulk of the long blowing coat with your fingers. Pull the hairs straight out in the dir cation that they grow. Use a nice straight action. Hold your hand steady and pull straight back without twisting or flicking your arm or wrist. This will help you with fatigue and the dog with comfort. Don't get frazzled. Make a plan of how you are going to move over the dog and off you go, a tiny bunch of hairs at a time. You are aiming to pull the longer scraggly outer coat down and maintain the short under hairs. It seems like a big job gut once you're in the zone, it's quite relaxing. Some people close fitting rubber gloves help with grip. Once you have the bulk of the coat off bath and dry the dog. That will assist with removing only the undercoat that is ready to fall out. Now you have a clean dry dog it should be obvious which hairs to pull that you missed pre bath. Tidy those out and then neaten with thinning shears around the feet, along the turn of the coat down the back of the front leg, around the knee area, and the turn of the coat around the throat. tidy the shape of the tail with the thinners. You're aiming for a neat all over sort of a 'trim' with no part of the coat looking particularly bushier than any other. A brand like Roseline would be adequate for your thinners. Single sided with a straight blade and a thinning blade. You can get them online from Petnetwork and the like.

Remember they are a rugged little terrier so neat without being pedantic. I would avoid straight scissors.

Edited by blinkblink

For a rough or broken Jack I would use my fingers, but I am a purist when it comes to hand stripping. Start with a dirty dog and take out the bulk of the long blowing coat with your fingers. Pull the hairs straight out in the dir cation that they grow. Use a nice straight action. Hold your hand steady and pull straight back without twisting or flicking your arm or wrist. This will help you with fatigue and the dog with comfort. Don't get frazzled. Make a plan of how you are going to move over the dog and off you go, a tiny bunch of hairs at a time. You are aiming to pull the longer scraggly outer coat down and maintain the short under hairs. It seems like a big job gut once you're in the zone, it's quite relaxing. Some people close fitting rubber gloves help with grip. Once you have the bulk of the coat off bath and dry the dog. That will assist with removing only the undercoat that is ready to fall out. Now you have a clean dry dog it should be obvious which hairs to pull that you missed pre bath. Tidy those out and then neaten with thinning shears around the feet, along the turn of the coat down the back of the front leg, around the knee area, and the turn of the coat around the throat. tidy the shape of the tail with the thinners. You're aiming for a neat all over sort of a 'trim' with no part of the coat looking particularly bushier than any other. A brand like Roseline would be adequate for your thinners. Single sided with a straight blade and a thinning blade. You can get them online from Petnetwork and the like.

Remember they are a rugged little terrier so neat without being pedantic. I would avoid straight scissors.

Thankyou Blinkblink that was fabulous????????Do you show Jacks

No I have no hands on show experience with Jacks. I have a life long passion for , and association with, hand stripping though and have been extraordinarily lucky to be coached by two of the best, IMHO! I have prepared Sealyham for show, and showed other coated (non stripped) terriers for a while so got to study many up close and personal.

I am a strong believer that the first step is technique. Get that nice firm straight rhythmic action going , then look at the breed profile.

I currently own a scruffy wire coat mutt that I strip. I'm doing him tomorrow actually!

The more I strip, the less inclined I am to use tools. I love that I can groom an entire dog with nothing other than my fingers, a comb, and a keen eye for lines!