Raw 4 Paws

sheena

their webpage actually doesn't disclose much details wrt the ingredients - the information is very general - I miss some percentage figures and more details regarding 'seasonal fresh vegetables & fruit'...

I thought the same thing but I asked the question and the response came back pretty quickly. Currently the veggies used are spinach, celery, apple, sweet potato and a small amount of carrot. Not sure of the percentages, I didn't ask that. I just have a dog that cannot have a large number of common veggies and herbs so needed to know the actual ingredients.

It isn't exactly something that we would be able to afford with 13 dogs (and I like to know exactly what is going into my dog's food) but I was curious about it as a possible "store in the freezer for emergencies" food.

I have heard from quite a few people who have fed it for a long time and the feedback has all been very positive. These were all performance people who do a fair bit of research into the diets of their canine athletes so I respect their opinions pretty highly.

Yes, i too would love to know the percentage of meat, bone, organ and veggies.

I don't really feed my dogs veggies, and find they are just fillers, so am not a huge fan of many of these BARF foods.

But have used Canine country in the past and was considering getting this one for their lamb protein.

Though, in saying that i know some brands their 'lamb' flavours also contain chicken, so would also have to check that..

Their website doesn't have enough info to satisfy me laugh.gif

I don't really feed my dogs veggies, and find they are just fillers, so am not a huge fan of many of these BARF foods.

But have used Canine country in the past and was considering getting this one for their lamb protein.

Though, in saying that i know some brands their 'lamb' flavours also contain chicken, so would also have to check that..

Yes...I agree it is a bit vague :confused:

I keep some as "emergency - ran out of meat" food - lamb and beef varieties. My dog with a sensitive tummy does really well on the lamb (no beef for him, the girls get that), and the patties are handy for weekend trips away. I like that it is only meat and organs from one protein source. I would like more info on percentages and other additives though if I was going to feed more often.

Yes...I agree it is a bit vague :confused:

I have emailed them, we will see what they say!

Send the company a email, normally there will be a contact link & I always ask everything I want to know & they normally email back with answers, this is other companies I don't know about this one, also ask where is the meat coming from is it coming from a rendering plant that has meats that aren't fit for human consumption???...

Here is the response to my email. The organ/ bone content in it does not equal 10% and 10% each it seems. And it has a lot of veggies. So you would have to add in extra organ and bones for the long run I think.

"All flavours contain only one meat source incl. organ and bone, we do not mix different kinds of meat like most other manufacturers do.

Our food does contain real organ meat like heart and liver.

Ratios are usually ca. 70% meat, plus roughly 8% organ/bone content, plus veggies and fruit. All our ingredients are fresh and sourced from human consumption facilities = real meat, market fresh veggies/fruit. We do not use meat meal. Essential fatty acids are animal derived, not plant derived since plant derived omegas are not as easily and readily usable for dogs.

There is no salt, water or any preservatives or chemicals added to our food. It is produced freshly and snap frozen for absolute freshness.

Since we are using fresh and real ingredients only, no processed meat meals, the ratios obviously can change slightly."

ETA:Typo..

Edited by denali

Here is the response to my email. The organ/ bone content in it does not equal 10% and 10% each it seems. And it has a lot of veggies. So you would have to add in extra Egan and bones for the long run I think.

"All flavours contain only one meat source incl. organ and bone, we do not mix different kinds of meat like most other manufacturers do.

Ratios are usually ca. 70% meat, plus roughly 8% organ/bone content, plus veggies and fruit. All our ingredients are fresh and sourced from human consumption facilities = real meat, market fresh veggies/fruit. We do not use meat meal. Essential fatty acids are animal derived, not plant derived since plant derived omegas are not as easily and readily usable for dogs.

There is no salt, water or any preservatives or chemicals added to our food. It is produced freshly and snap frozen for absolute freshness.

Since we are using fresh and real ingredients only, no processed meat meals, the ratios obviously can change slightly."

I guess you are really paying for the convenience & obviously a lot cheaper if you make your own when you can get human grade kangaroo, chicken & beef for $10 a kilo.

Here is the response to my email. The organ/ bone content in it does not equal 10% and 10% each it seems. And it has a lot of veggies. So you would have to add in extra Egan and bones for the long run I think.

I guess you are really paying for the convenience & obviously a lot cheaper if you make your own when you can get human grade kangaroo, chicken & beef for $10 a kilo.

Pretty much.

I will continue my DIY feeding regime, but would be happy enough to keep these for dog sitters, as emergency food, or for busy times biggrin.gif

So really it is comparable to other BARF foods on the marketsmile.gif

Edited by denali

Yes..for those who feed total raw..it would be handy to have some in the freezer for those moments. If anyone is interested, here it the link to Janine's page. She is in Armidale NSW & I think she can freight it over to Coffs Harbour area. Arnikka Pets Some of you may already know Janine from the agility circuit :)