Raw Treats

Scottsmum

I train with raw mince meat all the time, especially with pups who can only eat a small amount of food over the course of the day (so it is better and easier to hand feed them through training).

If I have time I will often quickly blanch chopped raw beef off cuts (chuck steak etc) in hot water to 'seal' the outside but keep it raw inside.

I train with raw mince meat all the time, especially with pups who can only eat a small amount of food over the course of the day (so it is better and easier to hand feed them through training).

If I have time I will often quickly blanch chopped raw beef off cuts (chuck steak etc) in hot water to 'seal' the outside but keep it raw inside.

Ooooohhhhh. Great idea!

I don't mind handing raw personally. But if I'm training in a public place I'd like to limit the chance of spreading disease while also giving the dog "moist" high value treats. It's a hard balance.....

Jules, what is that?

I feed raw but I'm not hardcore about it, I don't care if my dogs eat cooked meat. But if you do a lot of training and your dog is eating a large amount of its daily intake through training you have to get creative about how to make that work. My beagle for example is small and when I am prepping her for a trial she eats all of her food through training. She would love to eat cooked treats like roast meat, sausage etc only but it's not good for that to be her full diet.

Totally agreed huski.

A lot of our training foods also accounts for a large portion of the meals of the day so I try to keep away from kabana etc all those yummies that make great treats but not great in excess. I'll stretch it for Devon on occasion but usually I just fry up raw dog meat or semi dry it.

This week is diced beef heart and roo + black hawk dry (fish). Obviously I'm not hardcore raw XD