Silent Heats

DobieMum

Could you please tell me about silent heats? This is my 3rd season with my girl. First season 17th dec (last year) all normal. Last season, it only went for 2 weeks sporadic bleedimg only went on for 2 weeks. Waiting for the 3rd season now. Her hood blows up a few weeks before and i know when she's on, because her vulva is huge. Have asked my breeder and her bitches have been normal, so my girl is the unusual. So how do odd seasons work?

Technically if they don't ovulate it isn't a season. But yes I get your drift. Have you prog tested? That would be an option. See a good repro vet. Em is like clockwork...except when I wanted to breed her of course :laugh: This time last year we were prog testing like crazy but nothing. Realised she was early for her usual schedule so waited until Feb when she was due in and put her on Cabergoline. Standard season, 2 natural matings and 4 big pups! She seems to be cycling normally again although she did come in 7 months from her last season rather than 7 months from whelping as we expected her too. I've heard of young bitches with whacky seasons sorting themselves out after a litter too. Good luck!

Had a bitch who always silient seasoned,she came in everu 8 months,no swelling etc etc but the dog instantly new & we found her seasons to be very short & she had to be mated from the moment the dogs said yep ,after many misses she did have 3 litters one small two huge ,prog testes weren't always helpful due to the limited time she was in .

Technically if they don't ovulate it isn't a season. But yes I get your drift. Have you prog tested? That would be an option. See a good repro vet. Em is like clockwork...except when I wanted to breed her of course :laugh: This time last year we were prog testing like crazy but nothing. Realised she was early for her usual schedule so waited until Feb when she was due in and put her on Cabergoline. Standard season, 2 natural matings and 4 big pups! She seems to be cycling normally again although she did come in 7 months from her last season rather than 7 months from whelping as we expected her too. I've heard of young bitches with whacky seasons sorting themselves out after a litter too. Good luck!

TSD, my bitches always came in at the time the would have done had they not had a litter. So it was usually about 4 or 5 months after whelping

TSD, my bitches always came in at the time the would have done had they not had a litter. So it was usually about 4 or 5 months after whelping

Interesting - thanks Airedaler! It wasn't typical of her relatives to do that so just took me a bit by surprise.

Had a bitch who always silient seasoned,she came in everu 8 months,no swelling etc etc but the dog instantly new & we found her seasons to be very short & she had to be mated from the moment the dogs said yep ,after many misses she did have 3 litters one small two huge ,prog testes weren't always helpful due to the limited time she was in .

I have three generations of bitches here, all had typical messy first seasons and subsequently lost less and less each season, until swabbing showed nothing, swelling was normal........thank goodness we always have a boy here as well because he tells me now, but you have to watch as usually girls are well in when he starts taking notice and prog's then do the rest, but not much time frame!! Both older girls have had litters, never missed

Girls are heavily coated so not bits as obvious as with smooth coats

Repro vets tell me many bitches are like this, apparently they don't read the text books LOL