Social Media Helps Anna Meares Reunite With Her Dog

Redsonic

From ABC News:

A Christmas Day fishing trip turned into a perilous rescue mission for Evan Hanias, when he stumbled upon a dog struggling in the water — which just happened to belong to Australian cyclist Anna Meares.

Mr Hanias, his girlfriend Stella Papas and his cousins Andy Lattas and Nicholas Toskas went fishing at West Lakes, in South Australia, late on Friday afternoon after a family get together.

But before long, a storm began to roll in and the group took shelter underneath a bridge.

"I went forward to check the rods at the right time, I guess, and I heard something splashing," Mr Hanias told the ABC.

"In my head I was thinking, 'Is that a pelican?' I had a closer look and it was a dog.

"I screamed out to my cousins and my girlfriend, 'There's a dog in the water'.

"It was a strong current so the dog was moving pretty quick — but it was as if he knew we were his only chance to get out, so he swam towards me ... and I reached in and I grabbed him.

"I've got four slipped disks in my back so to get him out of the water was a struggle.

"I was holding onto him and it felt as if I was slipping in and I screamed out and [my cousins and girlfriend] pulled me up with the dog in my hands, so it was a team effort."

After bundling the dog up in a sweater, the group took him to an emergency vet and posted a photo of him on some South Australian-based Facebook pages dedicated to reuniting pets and owners.

'I know who Anna Meares is — but it did not click'

About the same time, Meares — well known for her remarkable comeback to win a silver medal at the 2008 Olympics, after breaking her neck in a cycling accident — was desperately searching for Bruce, her beagle of 10 years.

"The storm and wind that came through blew the front door open and allowed the dogs to get out and unfortunately mine decided to travel a little further than the other one," she told the ABC.

"It took me probably forty minutes to get back [from a friend's house] and start searching for him

"On the drive back to town I put it on all my social media channels and a lot of people shared that, and Lost Dogs of Adelaide also shared it on their Facebook page so we really got it out there quite quickly that he was out and about.

"I was quite surprised how many of not just my own personal friends but strangers who follow me on Facebook who live in that area went out on bikes and cars to look for him as well, so the community response to it was quite touching as well."

Mr Hanias saw the post about Bruce so "we took a photo of him and said 'Is this the dog in question?' and left a number and Anna Meares called us".

"At the time I had no idea — I know who Anna Meares is — [but] it did not click," he said.

"She was hysterically crying, you know, it would have been a stressful day, Christmas Day looking for your lost dog."

'The important thing is Bruce is home safe now'

Meares met the group at the vet to pick Bruce up and take him home.

"Look, I'm not a cycling fan but obviously I watch the Olympics, I've seen her on TV before, you know, rooting for her," Mr Hanias said.

"But at the time we had no idea where we knew this lady from.

"Anna couldn't hold her excitement, she ran behind the vet counter and met the dog halfway and it was just an amazing moment.

"She hugged him tight, she was bawling her eyes out. She must have hugged us five, six times."

It was not until Mr Hanias and his family got home that they realised they had helped out "the champion" Anna Meares.

"Anna Meares shared it on her professional Facebook page and as soon as we saw the photo there it clicked — 'Oh my God, this is Anna Meares, the champion'.

"I've had, like, 10 different messages from Anna thanking us. For someone that busy to take time out of her day — Bruce must mean the world to her."

Meares said "it was a huge relief, very emotional", to have Bruce home with her, while Mr Hanias played down the "hero" label.

"The important thing is Bruce is home safe now and anyone would have done the same," he said.

"We were just at the right place at the right time. It was just lucky we were there."