How Do Staffy & Blue Heeler Pups Go Together

staffylover

Recipe for dog aggression in the family:

Two dogs close together in age, size and gender.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier litters aren't uncommon. I'd give yourself 12 months to get the cattle dog pup settled, trained in obedience (this is not a breed to leave in the back yard to entertain itself) then reconsider whether you're up for another dog.

I'd certainly be going for the next dog of the opposite gender.

English staffords are rare as hens teeth (at least here in SA).

If they're being advertised as "English Staffords" it doesn't speak well for the knowledge of the breeder or the pedigree of the dogs.

The breed is Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Search for a pedigree health tested one of those. Plenty of litters around.

Don't rule out getting a dog from interstate. Good dogs are worth a bit of distance.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Don't rule out getting a dog from interstate. Good dogs are worth a bit of distance.

I remember the thread about the blue SBT from interstate - with mange and other problems so this OP has been really burned going interstate.

Plenty of quality local SBT breeders.

The OP can get burned close to home too. Don't buy a blue and don't buy unless the breeder health tests. That's how to start the search for a decent breeder.

I remember the thread about the blue SBT from interstate - with mange and other problems so this OP has been really burned going interstate.

Plenty of quality local SBT breeders.

The OP can get burned close to home too. Don't buy a blue and don't buy unless the breeder health tests. That's how to start the search for a decent breeder.

True, but much easier to return dog that isn't right - if it's local. OP wants to meet the parent dogs - excellent start.

And in other news I think SBT are missing from the LIDA database

http://sydney.edu.au/vetscience/lida/dogs/search/breed

I sent an email asking about it but either got no reply or my spam filter ate it.

But I know they do have health problems especially if both parents are blue.

I just can't imagine Staffordshire Bull Terriers being rare anywhere in Australia. They are one of the most popular dog breeds at the moment. I wonder if it's because you searched for 'English Staffy' rather than by the proper name that you missed a lot of results.

If not spending a lot of money is important to you, then why not look at adopting one of the many Staffy pups that end up in rescue? They'll be a lot less expensive than buying from a back yard breeder, and have had just as much thought put into their breeding.

Also, I know you said you don't care about papers, but a dog/pup's pedigree is what ensures the dog is in fact pure bred.

If I was buying a bull breed, I'd most definitely want the paperwork in case one day BSL becomes Australia wide. I'd have proof then that my dog has no APBT in it.

As others have said ;wait at least 12 months and train your pup to be a good dog with lots of outings to meet other dogs and people.

A Stafford and Cattle dog would get along fine imo.

No reason why you can't find a good Staffordshire breeder now and go on a waiting list for a pup in a year or 2.