Pork Bones?

It's been recommended that Nana Gem have the least amount of red meat in her diet as possible as her blood work has indicated some possible precursors to kidney issues (not really that unexpected in a 14.5 year old dog!). Chatting with the vet I've made the decision to just try to minimise proteins from red meats as apparently that can help keep the kidneys functioning pretty well.

Currently she gets a kibble that has a primary content of chicken, she also gets chicken carcass mince and also whole chicken carcasses. Periodically she has been getting lamb bones and sometimes beef bones.

I was thinking for her meaty bones to chew (gum!) on that maybe pork bones might be ok. She will also get turkey when I can find the cuts I like for her.

I've never bought pork bones before. Are dogs ok on them? Any particular bones to look out for? Any other ideas on bones I can feed her (well that she can chew on!) that don't go in the "red meat" category?

How about rabbit? Hideously expensive in our area, you might have more joy though!

Salmon heads might be a win too? Lots of good stuff in them.

My lot are fine with pork bones but they can be pretty rich and sometimes they get the runs a little if they overindulge.

I was thinking for her meaty bones to chew (gum!) on that maybe pork bones might be ok. She will also get turkey when I can find the cuts I like for her.

I've never bought pork bones before. Are dogs ok on them? Any particular bones to look out for? Any other ideas on bones I can feed her (well that she can chew on!) that don't go in the "red meat" category?

I feed pork neck bones (widely available and cheap in my area) to my dogs (Labradors) from time to time. They are more than ok with them. They don't last long. I suspect they are a lot softer than beef or sheep bones. You'd have to ask your vet about whether they were ok for kidneys though.