Sandpit Question

Isabel964

I went to Bunnings and got one of those clam shells to use as a sandpit for my two dogs. Bought sandpit sand for it, filled it up.

Googled how to prevent cats using it as a toilet, but so many answers. Wondering if anyone has found something effective.

Putting a cover on is one option that can work sometimes, but when we are out the sand pit will be available for the dogs to play in ..... and the cats to pee in.

Are cats drawn to pee in the clean sandpit sand from Bunnings? Just wondering how big a problem this may be. I have two cats that are in at nights but out during the day.

Are these your own cats or neighbourhood blow-ins? If they're yours, well I suggest you build them their own run with their very own sandpit LOL.

If they are not your cats, and the dogs permit them in the yard (or they sneak in while the dogs are indoors) then covering the pit is probably your only option. Which means that the dogs will only be able to enjoy their sandpit under supervision. :(

Generally you will find that if it is neighbourhood cats chances are they will be more likely to use it as a toilet at night when the dogs are asleep inside. At least they did with ours. We used to uncover the pit during the day for our dog to use and then cover it back up at night. Rarely (really really rarely) would we have a cat use it during the day as the dog would chase them out of the yard.

That said, if it is your own cat or your dog is fine with neighbourhood cats in they yard, not much you can do.