Arthritis - Whats Best For An Old Dog?

OUr old dog started off with cartrophen injections from the age of 6 until last week (17) - they made a difference from the start and I think were making a difference with this course as we were just had jab 2 of 4. She was then started on the Joint Guard powder with her food and that seemed to help for at least 4 or 5 years I think. She was also getting one of those joint treats from teh supermarket a day (the heart shaped ones) and finally stgarted on the joint Mobility food frm the vet last winter. And keeping her active (if she went lame I had rapigel for that put on before walk put more on afterwards and then hose off a hour later also seemed to help though she hated it).

Then last November she started on Neurotin from the vet twice a day as well which seemed to help (she couldnt have normal anti inflams due to the treatment for chronic kidhey disease)

And none of that caused any health issues at all. Even on Saturday morning she bounced her old dog bounding nearly all the way up and back of her 1200m walk not to mention bouncing around the front yard first thing - she was a month into being 17 years old.

She was put down Saturday night after snapping the hing leg above the knee and could not stand up with just one good hind leg - xrays showed that her bones were lacking calcium which the vet said was due to her kidney disease and there was calcification in her kidneys and a 12cm diameter tumour on her spleen. But she started the cartrophen when she was only 6 years old and was still walking about 2km on her walks til last Nov when something else happened to her that cause weakness in her hind end but all the arthritis treatments as above only helped her to keep active which together kept her going for so long.

My old girl had her first Cartophen injection yesterday....one a week for 4 weeks then monthly.

Vet said that in some cases you can see results after just 1 injection so I hope that is the case with her.

Might be wishful thinking but I think she is moving a bit easier....time will tell! :)

Thanks Tassie. Still getting use to her not being around.

Stitch our old dog use to improve overnight after the first injection - she was on the 4 week course every 6 months. Even the last week and a half we had her she'd just started a few course. Slight improvement after the first one and in her last 3 days she did seem to be showing some benefit after the second. Its suppose to work as it build up over the four weeks so she usually surprised them when I said it helped after the first one of the course.

Thanks for that feedback Rubiton.

I am hoping that my old girl does get some benefit from these injections.

I was very sorry to read about your girls passing but what a great 'innings'.

As Tassie said it is a tribute to all the care and attention she got from you.

Thanks Stitch - yes if you think you can see a slight improvement you probably are hopefully they do work as it made a difference to ours most times (there was tne odd course where there was little improvement but generally more noticable in winter)